Life With a Toddler

Saturday, October 28, 2006 4 Comments A+ a-

Devyn's vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds, she's even starting to call me "mama". I can't tell you how I've longed for that word! Even with all of our pride and happines at her latest developments, she is managing to keep us in stitches!

****************************

Devyn has been infatuated with babies now for some time. She points them out in grocery stores, malls, church, etc. with an enthusiastic "ba-by" and an overly-obvious point and/or wave. When asked where "Mommy's baby" is, she'll run over to touch, rub, or kiss my belly; and tonight was no different.

Jon asked "Devyn, where's Mommy's baby?" She ran over and rubbed my belly, kissed it, and said, "Ba-by". She then ran over to Jon's belly and rubbed it, kissed it, and said "Ba-by." Needless to say, we couldn't stop laughing and now Jon is wondering if it's time to sign-up with a local gym.

****************************

My sister, Allison, and I were in the kitchen; I was getting ready to make the salad for dinner and she was getting ready to set the table. Jon and Drew, Allison's boyfriend, were in the formal dining room putting the finishing touches on the chair rail they installed for my parents. Just as I turned around, I noticed that Devyn was grabbing for a paper towel on the kitchen counter.

Sitting atop the paper towel was an open, half-gallon of white paint being used by Jon and Drew.
In slow motion, I saw the paint can fall to the ground, on its side, spilling its entire contents all over the hardwood floor, the lazy-susan, the countertops, and even the cupboards. I froze, Allison froze, and life stood still for about 5 seconds. Mom finally heard our gasps, came running, and that's when chaos set in. There was a flurry of activity as several adults cleaned the paint off several surfaces, calmed down Devyn, and tossed paint-splattered clothes into the washing machine.

After Devyn's quick bath, she came downstairs, complete in footsie-pajamas and clean-smelling hair, to give Nana a hug and tell her "so-wee". I swear I saw my mom melt and almost crack a smile... almost.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
proud parents
AUTHOR
8:54 AM delete

I was cringing as I was reading about your daughter spilling the paint. I hope you were able to get all of the paint off the hardwood floors. I'm sure your mom will look back on this in a few years and laugh.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
4:29 PM delete

Oh wow! What things kids will get into. We have tons of stories about our little ones mishaps. All quite funny after the fact, but a bit hairy in the moment!

Reply
avatar
8:05 PM delete

I love the way the little ones say sorry and look up at you with their beautiful big eyes, it melts my heart every time too.
I hope all the paint came off!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
4:04 PM delete

Oh, your toddler sounds a lot like my toddler. :)

Snuggle Bug now says "I sorry" when he does something he thinks is not nice. How can you be upset when they say things like that to melt your heart?

Reply
avatar