I'm Losing My Mind

Saturday, October 28, 2006 13 Comments A+ a-

I'm certain that this pregnancy is causing my brain to lose some much-needed memory cells, as well as causing me to go a bit batty. If anyone has a cure-all for these situations, I'll happily take your advice.

*****************************

Case Point #1

Devyn and I were at my doctor's appointment this past week, my 24-week check-up. I had to go in early for both my glucose test and my flu shot. While we were waiting, I noticed a very familiar smell emenating from Devyn's diaper. I groaned as I had left the diaper bag in the car and it meant an extra trip to the car. (I was being lazy by not bringing it in with me in the first place, that'll show me.)

I picked up my purse and started ruffling through it looking for my car keys. I was positive I had put them in there but I was coming up empty. I checked with the ladies at the check-in desk if I had left them there when I first walked in, no such luck. I dreaded making the call to Jon telling him I'd locked my keys in the car again; it was becoming too much of a habit and he was starting to get annoyed having to continually come and rescue me.

I grabbed my cell phone and speed-dialed his number as I headed out to the car to make sure the keys were indeed in the car. As soon as I walked up, Jon answered the phone, and I whispered, "Never mind" into the receiver. *Sigh* There, on the hood of my car, for all the world to see, were the missing car keys.

*****************************

Case Point #2
As I cleaned up the kitchen this past week, I picked up two empty cans of soup that had been left on the kitchen counter. I stopped along the way to wipe up some crumbs and then noticed a clean fork that should have been put away. As I headed back to my original destination, I opened the fridge door and put something away.

For some reason, it didn't feel right and I re-opened the fridge; sitting on the second shelf were two empty soup cans. *Sigh* How do I explain that one?!?

******************************

Case Point #3
A few weekends ago, Jon was gone on his annual, weekend-long fishing trip with the guys, consisting of his brother, dad, and friends. This of course left us girls alone and I was enjoying the extra time with Devyn. JC Penney's had recently been "re-opened" in a new store and I decided to check it out after church that Sunday.

Devyn and I pulled in the parking lot; I turned off the ignition and placed the keys in my purse. I got out of the car and opened the back door to unbuckle Devyn from her car seat and grab the binky, just in case it was needed. As I placed Devyn on the ground by the car, I innocently placed my purse in her carseat while I re-tied her shoes. I opened the driver-door, locked all the doors, and then shut both the driver and back dooor.

Just as I shut the back door, I noticed my purse sitting in Devyn's car seat. I groaned as I realized that not were my keys in that purse, but my cell phone as well.

I ran inside to Customer Service and tied up their phone for twenty minutes as I searched for any family that could come pick me up. When my dad asked where the spare key was, I whispered that it was inside the car with the original keys. My dad started laughing and came to pick us up. We had to wait four hours for Jon to return from his fishing trip with another key to my car.

*Sigh* At least we had Devyn's binky...

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Wendy
AUTHOR
5:50 AM delete

I've had so many of these moments, even now when I'm not pregnant. Things like putting the gallon of milk in the cabinet instead of the frig. Or adding an extra age to the cake mix because I lost count. I think it is the distracted mom thing too.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
9:23 AM delete

I'm with Wendy, I've always been missing many much-needed memory cells as well and I've never been pregnant either. :) Don't be too hard on yourself. It happens to the best of us!

I wanted to stop by and say "Thanks!" for being my guest blogger this past week. I do appreciate it! :)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
12:45 PM delete

I don't think you're losing your mind, I think your hands are just too full!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
6:31 PM delete

Girl you know it's because you're pregnant. I am so prone to crazy stuff like that too. And I hate being in mid-sentence and totally forgetting what I was saying.

Hang in there!
;o)

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
9:04 AM delete

I'm so sorry these things are happening to you, but I'm so glad I am not the only one. My husband thinks its hilarious. Just 3 1/2 more months!

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
10:40 AM delete

Oh, how I can relate!! I walk into the doctor's office and it is like someone has sucked out my brain because I can't remember any questions that we needed to ask her. Also, I have been starting a lot of conversations with "I think I told you, but I don't know" because I honestly can't remember who I tell things to. So it starts!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
12:16 PM delete

This post made me laugh so hard! I can't really remember how I found you, but I'm so glad I did!
I talk about losing brain matter all the time - wondering if it fell out when I retrieved a G.I. Joe from the toilet, or into the baby's poopy diaper I threw out. It only increases - but there's so much more room for other, happier memories anyway!
My mama would kill me for this, but during her eighth pregnancy, we watched from the dining table in horror as she picked up the telephone to make a call and walked to the microwave to punch in the phone number. She turned sheepishly, hoping we weren't watching. Needless to say, laughter rang out for hours that evening!
Hang in there!

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
12:52 PM delete

Funny moments, don't you think?

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
4:35 PM delete

Me too!

But I don't have pregnancy to blame it on now. Maybe it's just all those pregnancies robbing my brain cells?! Probably not. My mom is as wacky and forgetful as I am.

We have the keypad entry on our vehicle now and I LOVE IT! One of my worst mommy fears is locking a child in the car with those keys. Thankfully hasn't happened yet and the keypad saves me from having to worry about it.

Reply
avatar
7:28 PM delete

This was so like me when I was pregnant. I started to jot down notes from the news and papers so I could pretend to be having intelligent conversations. I was even worse when I was feeding the babies! But the good thing is that I soon went back to normal LOL

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
9:48 AM delete

Right there with yoU!!!!!!

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
8:38 PM delete

That is wonderful! You made me smile. Bless your little heart. But, the truth is I do many of the same things - even when I am not pregnant. But, now that I am pregnant, I tend to blame all things on my "pregnant brain." Great excuse! Let's use it while we can!! :-)

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
12:30 PM delete

he he he Atleast it wasn't your purse, your keys, your cell AND Devyn that you locked in the car. Oh yessss... been there. Wanted to DIE. Dumb automatic locks.

Reply
avatar