Heart and Home

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6 Comments A+ a-

When I posted my Psalm 139:14 entry, Katherine from Raising Five brought up a wonderful point in her comment. In it she said, “But "home"-making in my mind is so much more about attitude - setting the tone for your home - your home and no one else's. It's a concept that doesn't rely on decorator colors to make it beautiful!” Her comment has stayed on my mind since and I realized how much truth was in it. Her comment made me stop and think about the attitude and tone that I want for my heart and home.

  • First and foremost, I want my home to reflect how important God is to us and how much we treasure our relationships with Him.
  • I want my home to be a place that my husband is anxious to come home to at the end of the day. A place that he longs for during cold, winter nights of plowing or fun fishing trips with the guys; a place where he knows that his family is waiting for him, excited to spend time with him.
  • I want my home to be a safe place for my children and their friends; a place where they can escape some of the harsher realities of this world and seek comfort or refuge in our home.
  • I want my home to set an example for my children; where husband and wife can disagree but still love and respect each other. In spite of any arguments, they are still committed to one another and their marriage.
  • I want my home to allow my children to express themselves and their opinions, without fear of retribution or ridicule, but with the security that boundaries will be drawn. A place where Mom and Dad are parents first, friends second.
  • I want my home to be a place where family and friends can be themselves, where we can be real with each other without any fa├žade. A place to express fears, wants, desires, or prayer requests and praises and know that we’ll be there to listen and/or join in.
  • Overall, I want my home to reflect what I hold most important in this life: God, family, and friends. A place where love, encouragement, support, and hope flourish.

So there you have it, my attitude and hopes for my “home” making! I don’t know how successful I’ll be; I know there will be successes and failures on a daily basis but this is what I’ll strive for in my day-to-day routine.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Wendy
AUTHOR
3:26 PM delete

All good things to strive for. The book I am reading right now ties perfectly into this.
Feminine Appeal - I am really liking it.

Reply
avatar
4:39 PM delete

This is so beautiful. It sounds like a place of grace - the kind of home I want, too. Blessings on your sweet family (Did I ever tell you how much I love that pic of Devyn on your sidebar? Precious!).

Reply
avatar
4:44 PM delete

What a wonderful list of goals... It's such a great idea to list them out like that. Thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
8:15 AM delete

This is so much of what I want for our home, too!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
2:53 PM delete

I agree with every little thing you said. This, I find that not enough people do and I love that you mentioned...

*A (home) where Mom and Dad are parents first, friends second.*

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. love, Amy

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
2:57 PM delete

You and Jon are two of the nicest, caring, genuine people I know. This list encompasses how much God, family and friends mean to you both. You don't even have to be in your home to feel the love that both of you have for those in your life as well as for each other and your precious daughter. Your list reminds me of my parent's house and your parent's house when we were growing up and even today. You're a great person Jenn and I love you for being who you are!

Reply
avatar