Recharged and Refreshed

Monday, September 18, 2006 5 Comments A+ a-

I got back from my weekend away yesterday afternoon, eager to see Jon and Devyn, my arms laden with a stuffed monkey and bible story for Devyn, only to find them both fast asleep on the couch! So much for being missed!! =) Seriously, Jon and Devyn had a wonderful weekend alone and obviously a lot of bonding took place between the two. She refused to leave my side for the rest of the day and night, but obviously Daddy did a tremendous job with her.

My weekend away was an incredible experience!! Our speaker was Jennifer Kennedy Dean and although I've never read her book or done her studies, I was bowled over by the wisdom that she shared with us about prayer, the blood of Christ, and crucifying our flesh. Actually, I'm still in the midst of processing everything and don't feel quite ready or able to share everything I've learned. But I was bowled over with the things that she shared and feel quite humbled at the things I learned, despite growing up in a Christian home.

While I'm processing everything, I did want to share one of my favorite posts that I wrote on my original blog. While it didn't happen exactly like this moment, the feelings and emotions were very much the same and the Holy Spirit permeated the whole weekend.

Moments with God
There are moments in my life when I can feel the presence of God and I’m overcome with emotion. Those are the moments that give me strength and peace to continue in my daily life; an affirmation of how God intended us to live this life. Such a moment was granted to me on Wednesday.

I had just come home from work; Nichole Nordeman was playing on the stereo and Devyn and I were alone, sans the dogs. The sun was streaming through the windows and there was such a peaceful feeling in the air. Suddenly, Nichole’s song, “Gratitude”, started playing.


“We’ll give thanks to you with gratitude
For lessons learned in how to thirst for You
How to bless the very sun that warms our face
If You never send us rain”

As I felt the music and the words wash over my soul, I opened my eyes to see my baby girl, swaying and moving to the music. Tears welled in my eyes as I listened to her off-key singing as she did her best to join the music.

“We’ll give thanks to you with gratitude
A lesson learned to hunger after You
That a starry sky offers a better view
If no roof is overhead
And if we never taste that bread”


As I sat watching the innocence of my daughter, smiling, laughing, and dancing her way through the music; the words were resounding deep in my soul. Suddenly, His presence was all around me, humbling me to my core. Tears streamed down my face as I realized how truly blessed I am; awed at the thought that He calls me Daughter; so very thankful for this moment.

“We’ll give thanks to you with gratitude
For lessons learned in how to trust in You
That we are blessed beyond what we could ever dream
In abundance or in need”

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
2:26 PM delete

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that you've returned from your retreat recharged and refreshed. I'm glad that your speaker was so fantastic!

I can relate with returning home and having my child stuck to me like glue for a few days afterwards. Despite the fact that Oronzo does a FANTASTIC job caring for Snuggle Bug 24/7 when I'm away on business, when I return Snuggle Bug makes it clear that he needs his Mommy time, which is fine all around. Oronzo needs a break and I need my Snuggle Bug time! :)

Welcome back, I can't wait to hear more about your retreat when you have time to process it all!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
4:02 PM delete

Glad your visit went well and I can't wait to hear about the lessons you learned at the retreat! I love retreats!

You were missed!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
4:23 PM delete

I just learned about Jennifer Kennedy Dean from my Motherwise study the ladies are doing at church.

I'm so excited to hear what you learned!

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
2:02 PM delete

I just love your posts! You are such a fantastic writer! I am glad that your weekend retreat went well and that you had a wonderful time learning more about the Lord! What a blessing!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
7:23 PM delete

So glad you enjoyed the time away. I love a good retreat too! It's amazing what God can teach us when we get away to focus on him.

Reply
avatar