Oh Boy, Oh Boy!

Monday, September 25, 2006 10 Comments A+ a-

After the ultrasound on Friday, my friend, Mandy, and I went out to lunch and did a little shopping to celebrate the big news. We wandered from store to store in our local mall; Mandy pulling me towards the little boy section, my instincts pulling me in the opposite direction. At one point in our shopping excursion, Mandy turned to me and said, “Jenn, I think you’re denying the fact that a little boy is on his way; you seem to be steering clear of the boy clothes.” After a moment or two of thought, I discovered that Mandy was right; I WAS steering clear of the boy clothes and not purposefully, but out of complete shock that we…are…having…a…son!

All weekend, I kept turning to Jon at intermittent moments with the exclamation, “We’re having a boy!? Are you sure it’s a boy?! What am I going to do with a boy?!” And little-by-little, realization is sinking in that God has chosen to send us a son.

I know that I’ll catch on (hopefully fast) to boyhood but I gotta admit that I’m a little scared. I feel out a little out of my league and a little frightened at all of the upcoming prospects. I was in Motherhood Maternity over the weekend and saw this package entitled “PeePee TeePees”. They were basically these little cloth-cones that you place over the tiny pee-pee while changing his diapers, to prevent any streams of urine from hitting your face. (You gotta check them out, I'm SOOOO not making them up!) Oh geez… give me hormones, give me hair ties, give me stockings, or even dollies, and I’m in my element. But mention “little streams of urine” and watch me shake!

I’m slowly coming to terms with the idea of a son; Jon and I even went to Target after church yesterday to check out some boy clothes. I found myself actually pausing to touch each sweater vest or khaki pant; I lovingly looked at the blue, baby layette set; and I even allowed myself to pick out a couple of boy outfits. As we left the cash register, I looked at Jon with bright eyes and excitedly said, “We’re having a boy!”

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
The Artist
AUTHOR
1:27 PM delete

You were shocked at a boy - I was so shocked for a girl! haha

Now I'm totally pumped for it and I'm sure before it's all said and done, you'll be thinking the same way!

Have fun!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
2:12 PM delete

Just stumbled onto your site congrats on a healthy baby boy!!

I to am due early next year and have a daughter born in 2004. I have no idea what I'd do with a boy but I'm sure you'll figure it out!! Our U/S is in a couple weeks.

Still laughing about the "PeePee TeePees"!!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
2:32 PM delete

You definitely have to watch that stream of urine thing with baby boys, but we never resorted to buying a "peepee teepee," a wash cloth over the penis works just fine.

Don't be frightened of the prospect of raising a little boy, they're so much fun, really! And when they snuggle with you or give you little kisses, your heart just melts. I'm so excited for you and your family!

Oh, hey, thanks for your comment on my It starts early post. I was relieved to hear that Snuggle Bug isn't the only one learning the manipulation thing at such a young age. They're smart little people, aren't they?!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
2:46 PM delete

I am so excited for you. Boys are wonderful. I grew up with all sisters and no brothers, so when I found out I was pregnant w/a boy I had no clue what to do w/boys, but you'll figure it out.

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
3:38 PM delete

Congratulations on your boy! As you know, we found out on Friday that we are having a girl. My husband and I keep doing the same thing. We will turn to each other at random times and say, "I can't believe we are having a girl!" We stare at the ultrasound pictures constantly. I am so excited my sister showed me your blog. I think we are due just a few days apart. It will be fun to watch your progress. Congratulations again!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
4:28 PM delete

I wasn't sure I'd know what to do with a boy, either, but you'll figure it out! And, a peepee teepee won't be necessary! :-) I can't believe they actually make that, which means someone must buy them. A wipe or washcloth works great, and it's not usually a problem for us, just every once in a while.

Reply
avatar
4:53 PM delete

That is precious. I LOVE having a boy. He is a miniature of his dad, and it gets better with each passing year. You will be a great mom, and Jon will love this new aspect of fatherhood. Congratulations!

BTW - Your new look is great!

Reply
avatar
12:43 PM delete

I had two girls before I had my first boy and I was amazed at how different they were. So solid, strong, huge shoulders, not mushy like a girl at all. It was a true delight and both my boys were so much larger than my girls. What treasures babies are and now I am enjoying my blue-berry eyed granddaughter. Sweet!

I must admit I am lurking, looking at all Bluebird blogs web designs since I am one of the blessed winners of her contest. Yours in beautiful and I love the photo. How perfect!! Thanks!

Reply
avatar
7:55 PM delete

Jenn-
Congratulations! You'll be a great Mom to your little boy! I never knew how much fun a little boy can be, but Mikkhi is a blessing and I smile everytime I think about him and I know you will with Hudson too. Great name! Devyn will love having a little brother too. I had TWO of them. I'm happy for your family!

Wendy

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
6:15 AM delete

haha--those cone things sound pretty hilarious! after briana found out she was having a boy i kindly reminded her that she has a peepee floating around inside her. isn't that a little heebeejeebee? lets chaulk it up with one of those things that will seem less bizarre if/when i'm preggo. congrats again, love you!

Reply
avatar