Much-Needed Zzzzz

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7 Comments A+ a-

I’m finally ready to admit it; I’m finally at the point to confess that this pregnancy is kicking my rear end. When I was pregnant with Devyn, the exhaustion and morning sickness only lasted during the first trimester. As vicious as the morning sickness was with Devyn, I was feeling like my old self by week 14 or 15 of that pregnancy. I keep waiting for the relief to show up; I haven’t taken my “magic” anti-nausea pills in weeks, hoping that in faith the nausea will abate; I keep looking for that one day where I feel rejuvenated and refreshed; and it’s just not happening.

I’m still having two to three bad days a week, where I’m leaning over the toilet just begging for relief. And the exhaustion… oh my word, there are no words to describe the utter exhaustion I feel throughout the day, every day. Last night, I handed Devyn to Jon as soon as he came home and told him she was his. I had hit my wall; I needed sleep; I wanted relief; and for the first time, I was begging for help. I don’t even remember laying down or falling asleep but for an hour and a half, I was knocked out. Although I was hoping that the much-needed nap would help, I found myself fairly comatose the rest of the evening and very much in a fog. I felt horrible neglecting Jon and Devyn as I did last night, but as I keep reminding myself, growing a baby is hard work.

When I woke from my nap last night, I laid in bed and felt Hudson moving around. An excited, happy, private smile crossed my lips and I laid my hand across my womb. As he continued his jumping, his kicks, and his summersaults for several minutes, I was reminded in a very clear way that this was all worth it. Yes, it’s hard now and I can’t sugar-coat it at the moment, but feeling his movements and hearing his heart beat remind me about the miraculous things taking place in my body. I know it’s worth it and I’m doing my best to enjoy the pregnancy as much as possible, but if someone wants to make a plea on my behalf for things to calm down a bit, I’d greatly appreciate it!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Joy
AUTHOR
1:20 PM delete

It is amazing what such a little person can do to your entire body. I remember passing out in the middle of the floor with the boys playing around me.

Good for you for having a great perspective - the little guy is so worth it!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
1:51 PM delete

It is all worth it, but it's no fun in the meantime! It's good to be honest about how you're feeling. I hope it passes soon and you can get a few months of relief!

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
7:49 PM delete

Morning sickness, huh?

I remember when my wife was pregnant and I was complaining of morning sickness. Doctors call it sympathy something. I call it my-wife-stepped-over-me-when-I-was-lying-down.

Hmm?

Okay. I’m a little superstitious. I blame my grandparents. They believe that a pregnant woman should never step over her husband when he’s lying down. They also believed that babies should never have a hair cut until after their first birthday.

I believed them. Two things happened:

• I felt like a pregnant girl during her first trimester.
• My son, thanks to the no-cutting-hair-thing, looked like a girl his first year.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
5:58 AM delete

Yes, it's worth it, but I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from. I'm right there with you - minus the sickness. I hit my wall last night too and just said "That's it. No More"

So chin up! We're gonna make it!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
8:17 AM delete

Hey sweets, just hang in there!! I remember those days and it does take so much out of you and you need to listen to your body. There were days when I had the store, and I was pregnant with Cole, that I would have to call Patrick and he would come to cover for me while I passed out in the back on a cot. You can't help it, please do not feel guilty...Jon is a great husband and daddy and this is what you do for each other.
Hugs and Kisses your way
Love ya
Colleen

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
10:14 AM delete

I am so sorry sweetie that you aren't feeling better yet. I hope that the sickness and fatigue will subside soon. I love the name Hudson! I am so happy for you guys!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
10:20 PM delete

Good for you for having such a great perspective on the difficult time of your pregnancy. It certainly WILL be all worth it when Hudson is born and you're holding your dear little one in your arms. I can't wait for that day to arrive for your family!

By the way, I wanted to thank you for your very kind comment on my challenges faced by working moms post. I was having "one of those days" and your encouraging words were a soothing balm to my aching heart. Thank you so much.

Reply
avatar