Raising the White Flag

Monday, August 07, 2006 6 Comments A+ a-

I absolutely will not give in to this; I’ll look incredibly silly wearing maternity tops at this stage of the game.

And you don’t look silly already, wearing pants with the buttons unbuttoned and tight shirts trying to pretend you’re still skinny enough to wear them?!

La, la, la, I’m not listening. I refuse to wear them, I just refuse.

Fine, whatever, be stubborn. I don’t care. You and I both know that you’d be more comfortable in these clothes but since you refuse to do it; be uncomfortable, have difficulty taking deep breaths, and continuing grimacing every time you sit down or stand up.

Well, since you put it that way…

After listening to the above inner dialogue for the past two weeks, I finally started wearing maternity tops again. It’s something I’ve been fighting; refusing to believe that it was time. However, my unbuttoned pants and growing waistline have finally won the war and I spent all weekend feeling unrestricted and free. As my mom gently reminded me, when I was bemoaning the fact that the time was here, it is only three weeks earlier than when I started wearing maternity tops with Devyn.

Please don’t think for a moment that my hesitancy or refusal to wear these clothes is a sign of vanity or pride, because it’s actually a badge of honor in my book, I just hated the idea of looking silly for wearing these clothes “too” early or that I was trying to advance this pregnancy further than it really was. But I can finally say that I really am starting to develop a baby bump and my body is breathing a sigh of relief now that I’ve raised the white flag.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
11:21 AM delete

You are too funny Jenn! I already feel like my clothes are too tight not from the pregnancy of course, but just from wearing clothes that don't fit me to begin with! :)

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
2:22 PM delete

WOOO!!! Fortunately, empire waists are in style right now, so you can totally wear those & not have to wear the real maternity thing. Stop listening to those voices in your head. Mine argue with me constantly. :)
Love you!!

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
2:25 PM delete

That's hilarious! ;o)

I was the same way - I didn't want everyone to think I was trying to "show" at 12 weeks! Ya know? But I gave in for comfort's sake and I'm glad I did.

Who cares what they think right?

Hugs,
MJ

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
3:34 PM delete

You are so funny! I'm feeling the same way and I'm proud of you for giving in:)

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
6:16 PM delete

I started showing early with each child and gained about the same each time. I know what you mean about wearing shirts like that too early.

Reply
avatar
7:26 PM delete

Half of today's styles look like maternity clothes anyway. You're right in vogue! It's a wonderful thing to give in to. Enjoy it!

Reply
avatar