Musings

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5 Comments A+ a-

I’ve discovered that pregnancy brings a whole multitude of emotions and feelings with it. First the elation and amazement that we had created another life and excitement of all the possibilities that entails. I remember trying desperately to keep the news to myself so I could tell Jon in a “special” way but I was just bursting with the news and couldn’t wait any longer. There we sat in a Burger King, eating breakfast, and I just blurted the news, “You’re going to be a daddy again!” The grin on his face was worth forgetting to hold on to my secret.

Then those feelings gave way to exhaustion, non-stop sickness, and thoughts of wondering what we’d gotten ourselves into. There were times when I was heaving over our toilet that I wondered, “I remember this, why did I think I’d want to do it again?!” There were moments of “I’d do anything to stop feeling this way” and those were quickly followed by moments of remorse at the idea that I’d be anything less than grateful for the blessing God had given us. But with nausea knocking hard on my door, our toddler begging for attention, and the bed looking incredibly inviting, my prayers for mercy seemed to go unheard.

After a good six to eight weeks of the above, I started to realize that “Hey, I’m feeling good. I don’t think I’ve thrown up in two or three days!” I whispered words of thanks and started hunting for my maternity tops because despite the constant nausea and trips to the bathroom, my middle was still managing to grow. I bit the bullet and started wearing the maternity tops to work, the biggest thought running through my mind was, “Relief; I can breathe again!”

Within the past two weeks, I started feeling movements from this tiny life and again, things fell into perspective for me. I remember why we wanted to have another child; I’m looking forward to finding out what we’re having; and I’m so excited to see this new little life that we’ve created. Each week the movements are getting stronger and I’m actually starting to feel them on a daily basis which is pure bliss!! I treasured those movements from Devyn and now I’m getting to experience movements again. God is so good to us!

I will end with this, I’ve been absolutely surprised by the exhaustion!! I can’t get over it! I don’t remember being this exhausted when I was pregnant the first time but now I can’t seem to get enough sleep. Oh well, as my friend
Sarah said, I’m sure it’s God’s way of preparing us for the very little, to zero, sleep I’ll receive once this little one actually makes his or her appearance!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
12:35 PM delete

Is that YOUR belly???? Already???
Welcome back, babe!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
12:57 PM delete

Ah, I've found you once more. Thank goodness for that!

I'm sure your exhaustion now IS God's way of preparing you for when baby #2 arrives.

Hang in there!

Reply
avatar
Munchkin Land
AUTHOR
2:08 PM delete

Jess, I'll be posting belly pics soon but that is most definitely NOT my belly... yet. You will be quite surprised between my 18-week photo with Devyn and my 18-week photo with this one.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
7:31 PM delete

Great to read your new blog and hear from you again!

How exciting to be feeling the baby move! I always loved that and couldn't wait for it to happen. You have so much to look forward to.

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
7:55 PM delete

Yes - the exhaustion is incredible. I'm the same way - I don't remember this with the first one. Only difference between you and me is that it's been 10 years since my last pregnancy! haha

Reply
avatar