12 Week Check-In

Friday, August 04, 2006 6 Comments A+ a-

Jon and I have just returned from a regularly scheduled OB appointment and again, I’m on cloud nine. Hearing that heartbeat is an amazing, miraculous thing! I’ve gained approximately four pounds since finding out we’re expecting, which is great, but surprising since I initially lost weight with Devyn. I ran out of my anti-nausea pills last weekend and I decided to see if my nausea had subsided at all, after all, I’m over 12 and a half weeks pregnant, it really should be going away, right?! I couldn’t have been more wrong. I’ve been battling constant nausea and vomiting since Sunday. When my sour stomach kept me up for the third night in a row, I decided to give in and beg my doctor for a refill. Today is the first day of some relief; thank goodness for little white, magic pills.

As far as cravings go, they’ve been coming and going. I’ve been craving the usual stereotypical thing and have gone absolute bonkers over pickles. It isn’t that unusual of a craving for me, as I can eat pickles at any time of day or night, pregnant or not. However, when I stopped at Chili’s to pick up some macaroni and cheese (another craving I gave in to; Chili’s has the BEST mac ‘n cheese anywhere), I absolutely salivated at the smell of dill pickles coming from the kitchen. I sheepishly asked the cashier if they’d be willing to share with a needy, pregnant woman and sure enough, I walked out with about four dill pickles. Yummm!

My hormones and emotions seem to be elevated extremely high with this pregnancy. As I’ve said before, with Devyn I fairly floated through my pregnancy; sleeping or vomiting during the 1st trimester; happy and joyful during the 2nd trimester; and eager to be done during the 3rd trimester. Neither Jon nor I were prepared for the overly-emotional, extra volatile, or prickly woman that has now emerged. I’m working on the volatile part and making a more conscious effort on how I’m treating my family and friends but I absolutely have no control over the emotional part. I have experienced, on several occasions, the intense need to cry and have done so in our bedroom, in my doctor’s office, in my supervisor’s office, and in my car. I have no clue what caused it, nor any way to turn off the water works. I’m a crying, blubbering mess.

And last, but certainly not least, how do you know you’ve been throwing up more than your fair share? When you walk into the bathroom and either a) your 20-month-old is leaning over the toilet and spitting into the water or b) the same 20-month-old accompanies you to the bathroom to hold your hair and murmur softly in your ear. Ok, ok, she isn’t holding my hair but she is definitely rubbing my arms or my face, whichever is nearer, and doing her best help me feel better. I just love that child and it’s a great reminder why I’m putting my body through this… again.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Mary
AUTHOR
1:44 PM delete

Awww. . . . that's so sweet about Devyn helping you while you're sick.

Glad everything is going fairly well. Hang in there - hopefully the nauseous feeling will go away soon!

Big hugs!
Mary

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
5:06 PM delete

I love reading about your pregnancy journey! You are a great writer and I find myself nodding my head and agreeing with so many things you say!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
5:25 PM delete

Brings back memories here.

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
8:57 AM delete

I absolutely love your blogs Jen. You are such a good writer and I enjoy hearing about what is going on in your life through the blogs since we are both so busy. You are an inspiration! I hope that you get to feeling better soon! I love you

Jill

Reply
avatar
Tammy
AUTHOR
9:53 AM delete

i agree...I love hearing your pregnancy journey!

I am so sorry for your nausea though...I was blessed in the respect of having hardly any in my pregnancies but I DID have the hormonal thing! Oh, bless your heart...but remember, it's not abnormal at all.

That is so sweet about little one when you're sick...that brought back a memory of my own. I was having a rare (sorry) sick day when I was pregnant with my second, and while talking with hubby, kind of just layed down on the floor. My two yr old daughter wrapped her arms around me and loved on me...
doesn't that just melt your heart? Then you want to start crying even more! ;)

Blessings...hope you start feeling better really soon!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
11:38 AM delete

Devyn is such a gentle little soul, isn't she? That's so sweet that she was trying to help her Mommy.

I loved the pregnancy update. Thanks for sharing.

Reply
avatar