We're Back!

Monday, July 17, 2006 16 Comments A+ a-

Whew! Whatta trip! We’re back from an eight-day vacation to Yellowstone National Park, was I missed?! I have surely missed reading all of your blogs and catching up with your families. I’m constantly amazed at the friendships I have formed in blog-land and I was going a little crazy without being able to check-in. At the same time, it was wonderful to spend some quality time with family and friends in one of the most amazing places on earth. Jon, Devyn, and I shared our own pop-up camper but we had a number of family and friends join us on this vacation too; my sister, Allison, Christine and her husband, Caleb, my parents, Jon’s Dad and brother, Josh, and one of my best friends, Marianne and her new husband, Dennis. All in all, it was a fun-filled, packed, and boisterous week!

We arrived in Yellowstone on Friday, July 7th and set up camp in one of the campgrounds around Yellowstone. I’ll admit that I was a little skeptical about an 8-day camping trip but my fears were soon put to rest when we saw our first buffalo meandering down the road. I was in awe as this huge, lumbering animal made no apologies about hogging the road or stopping traffic, he was after all, King of the Road. Needless to say, I was hooked on the wildlife from that moment on. During our trip we saw countless buffalo, elk, deer, fawns, mountain goats, a black bear and her two cubs, and Jon was even fortunate enough to see a wolf.

The scenery in this place is absolutely amazing! Jon and I constantly sat back in awe and tried to imagine how God would be able to top these views in heaven. The rivers, waterfalls, the "painted" canyons, the trees, the mountains, the lakes, etc. were just gorgeous. These photos don’t even do the park justice, so I highly recommend a vacation to Yellowstone to see it in person. We even spent an afternoon at Old Faithful, watching the geyser go off at the appointed time was fun. One of the best parts of the whole trip was watching Devyn take in the views and the different animals, we definitely have an outdoors girl on our hands.

Some Highlights from Our Trip:
  • Watching buffalo forge the Yellowstone River from one bank to the next, had no problems swimming at all, despite the weight and girth of their bodies.
  • We found a swimming hole in the Firehole River and it was a ton of fun jumping into the rapid and being taken downstream.
  • Watching Devyn groove to the music, despite being confined to a car seat and not being able to move her legs. Hilarious!
  • Getting to see two deer and their two fawn, absolutely precious! Watching Mama Bear take care of her cubs, despite the relentless tourists with their cameras.
  • Just driving the different roads and seeing something new every day!
Lessons Learned During Our Trip:
  • We will not be taking another vacation during my first trimester ever again. I was hit and miss most days, most of the time phenergen did the trick but I still had my moments. On top of that, I needed a huge attitude adjustment which I will write more on at a later time.
  • It is nearly impossible to iron things out with a camping neighbor when you don’t speak the same language. After being told numerous times to "turn off" our campfire or the ranger would be called, my husband and brother-in-law called their bluff; after all, quiet time does not mean "lights out".
  • We will not go to Yellowstone until after July 15th in the future; Jon was extremely bummed that fishing did not "open" on the Yellowstone River until July 15th, the day we left. Poor guy!
  • We will bring more than one battery for the camper; we went without lights and heat in the camper the whole time.
  • Benadryl might be a good idea for future trips; a screaming toddler does not put people in the best of moods.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

16 comments

Write comments
4:22 PM delete

You were certainly missed!! I'm so glad to hear that you had a good trip! You are a brave girl, going on an adventure in your first trimester. And, as far as the attitude adjustment, now you can blame it all on hormones!!
Glad you're back!
Blessings!

Reply
avatar
Susie
AUTHOR
7:04 PM delete

So glad to see you're back safe and sound. You were most certainly missed! *Hugs*

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
8:04 PM delete

Missed you missed you missed you! Glad all went well and you are safe at home.

Take care! Talk to you soon!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
8:23 PM delete

WELCOME HOME...we missed your bloggin SO much. So glad to know you had a wonderful time and that you were able to have that special family time together. I just loved Devyn dancing in her seat. What music is that? I loved it!
Keeping in touch
Colleen & Family

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
8:24 PM delete

WELCOME HOME...we missed your bloggin SO much. So glad to know you had a wonderful time and that you were able to have that special family time together. I just loved Devyn dancing in her seat. What music is that? I loved it!
Keeping in touch
Colleen & Family

Reply
avatar
10:16 PM delete

Welcome home! It sure has been quiet around here - we were gone almost the same time you were. It takes a while to get caught up again.

We take a small pharmacy's-worth of medicines for kids when we travel - you just never know. Benadryl is definitely the traveling mother's best friend! Hope you're feeling better, too.

The photos are incredible - especially the moose! I haven't been to Yellowstone since I was 10. I would love to go back with our kids some day. Quite a haul from TX, however!

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
9:33 AM delete

I missed you tons! I am glad that you had a wonderful trip! The pics are very good! Talk to you soon!

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
10:50 AM delete

Looks wonderful! I can't believe you went camping for that long right now! The most I'll do is two days during the first trimester. Just think...pretty soon the yucky stuff will be all over and we'll have cute little bellies:)

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
11:33 AM delete

I've always wanted to go there. The pictures I've seen are so beautiful! This and Glacier National Park are on the top of my list.

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
3:18 PM delete

I had deleted a previous comment from an anonymous person mainly because I hate having my parenting skills questioned and it was a mean comment. I would, however, like to respond with this:

I do not appreciate having broad generalizations or assumptions made about my parenting skills based on a one-minute video. If you knew me at all, then you'd know how much I value my daughter's life. At every other time, Devyn is buckled into her carseat and her carseat is located in the back. However, for this vacation since traffic was constantly stop and go because of the tourists looking at wildlife; the fact that we barely were going over 25 miles per hour in a big truck; and the fact that we were sharing a vehicle with the rest of the family, we allowed Devyn to be in the front seat for a better view.

Please... I've graciously allowed you a glimpse into my life as a wife and mother and don't appreciate having to defend our parental choices. If you'd like to comment further on this, please contact me directly by email.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
3:28 PM delete

Watch out, here comes the next Britney Spears!

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
3:31 PM delete

Whoever you are, in Knoxville, Tennessee, I'm very sorry that you feel the need to rag on someone you don't even know. I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop commenting on my blog.

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
5:41 PM delete

This is the last thing I want to write about this. I honestly had no idea that Devyn wasn't buckled in her car seat until you, Anonymous, mentioned it to me.

I won't apologize for having her in the front seat with us, but I was appalled by the fact we forgot to buckle her into the car seat. We had just stopped for lunch and had assumed that the other had done the buckling. An honest mistake...

Reply
avatar
The Husband
AUTHOR
6:00 PM delete

Dear Observer-in-Question,

In our state it is okay to put a child in the front seat of a car or truck as long as you turn the air bag off, and in my truck you can. I could care less what you think; forgetting to buckle was an honest mistake. Besides, it sounds like you're a perfect parent, by casting the first stone. I'm sure you have done nothing wrong in your life.

PS My wife is a great mother and I will not let someone tell her otherwise.

Reply
avatar
7:00 PM delete

How fun to go to Yellowstone! :) We went there a few years ago for our honeymoon and it was so much fun. I can't wait to go there in the future with our kids ... I think you are very brave to tackle it with a little one AND being pregnant! :)

Reply
avatar
Auntie Chris
AUTHOR
7:38 PM delete

I swear, there's a face that Devyn makes in the video where she looks EXACTLY like her daddy! The resemblance never ceases to amaze me!

Reply
avatar