Thump, Thump, Thump

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10 Comments A+ a-

On Monday Jon and I went in for an appointment with my doctor, to follow up on an Urgent Care visit over the weekend. The absolute highlight of this appointment was being able to hear the heartbeat of Baby #2. Jon reached over and squeezed my hand and I felt the tears starting to well-up. There is always something surreal and magical about hearing the heartbeat of your unborn; it offers concrete proof that someone is living and growing inside your body. Now I’m a firm believer that life begins at conception, no surprise there, but as a mommy, it’s really hard for me to connect with the baby until I’ve heard the heartbeat and this was no exception. I’m so thrilled and happy to be adding to our family, despite my many fears and concerns, and now I’m able to start talking to the baby, making plans for the future, sharing my hopes for their lives, etc. It’s an incredible gift to hear that heartbeat and I’m so grateful for it.

The surprising thing about hearing his/her heartbeat is that I’m only 11 weeks along; when I was pregnant with Devyn, we couldn’t hear the heartbeat until I was 14 or 15 weeks along. But it was a wonderful surprise. The heartbeat seems much slower than Devyn’s heartbeat was and according to the old wives’ tale, it could mean that we’re having a boy. Once I shared this tidbit with Jon, he jumped all over that and is insisting that it must be true. Only time will tell…

I was in Urgent Care over the weekend due to abdominal cramping and pain. The Urgent Care doc made the mistake of telling a nervous mama that it was probably her gall bladder and “don’t worry, we remove gall bladders all the time during pregnancies.” The thing that annoys me the most about this diagnosis is that it was made without doing any blood work or doing an ultrasound. Argh! Hence, the reason we went to my regular doctor as soon as I could get in. My doctor, bless her heart, doesn’t think it’s my gall bladder (although blood work results should come in today to verify that) but gastro-something, which translates into severe indigestion. It has been almost unbearable and would explain the constant burping and cramping. The doctor would like for me to tough it out during the last couple weeks of the 1st trimester and then she’ll prescribe a much stronger antacid medication.

So, that’s the latest on this home front. We’ve had a gall bladder scare, constant gas, and the beautiful sounds of a beating heart, all within the past five days.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Tammy
AUTHOR
10:10 AM delete

Ahhh...congratulations!

I remember that feeling of hearing the hearbeat. There's nothing like it!

I hope you feel better very soon...that part doesn't sound like fun.

Blessing!
~Tammy

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
3:39 PM delete

Congrats on hearing the HB! That is so exciting and what a wonderful sound!

Reply
avatar
4:04 PM delete

I love the sound of the heartbeat. Always such a relief to me, even when I can feel the baby moving! Weird, I know. Hope the tummy feels better!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
8:47 PM delete

I didn't know you got to have an ultrasound too Jen! That picture is great! For me, that's what made it the most real, seeing that little squirming wonder moving around in MY body. What a blessing it is.
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
11:01 PM delete

Oh...I just noticed the ultrasound pic. THAT is just so precious! How wonderful!

Reply
avatar
8:09 AM delete

I couldn't agree with you more. How exciting to hear your baby's heartbeat!!!

My hubby just had his gall bladder out a week ago. He had a few attacks in the middle of the night and finally got around to getting the thing out.

Hang in there!

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
8:28 AM delete

I think that's when I felt 'connected' - the moment we saw the heart beating on the ultrasound and then heard it at 12 weeks. It was awesome!

Congrats and don't worry about the indegestion. I'm sure it will calm down.! Prayers and hugs to you, my friend!

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
10:17 AM delete

Sarah and Amy, my sincere apologies. I didn't realize that the ultrasound photo would be mistaken as my current little peanut or sprout. =( The ultrasound is actually of Devyn at about 12 weeks. I'll find something else to put up there until we actually get an ultrasound of this little person.

And trust me, when I finally get an ultrasound this time around, I'll be shouting it from the roof-tops. Sorry for the confusion...

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
8:56 PM delete

A precious little life. So amazing!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
7:58 PM delete

That is so awesome. I always cry when I hear it for the first time..so wonderful how God forms them.

Reply
avatar