8 Weeks and Counting...

Thursday, July 06, 2006 12 Comments A+ a-

I had my first pre-natal appointment yesterday and for the first time with this pregnancy, I actually started getting excited. In spite of increased nausea, morning sickness, breast tenderness, bloating, heartburn, indigestion, and a growing belly, this pregnancy just hasn’t felt real to me. As I’ve said before, with Devyn I saw the 2nd pink line and that was all I needed. I have needed way more reassurances with this pregnancy (ten pregnancy tests later) and yet, I just started getting excited after yesterday’s appointment.

The appointment went well, despite Devyn wanting up on the exam table, wanting down on the floor, wanting to sit in Mommy’s lap, wanting to read books with Grandma, etc. Needless to say, I think it was the first and last time Devyn will be accompanying me on these doctor appointments. I seem to be measuring right on track for eight and a half weeks and despite my unhappiness, the doctor is glad that I’m nauseous because she says it’s a wonderful sign of a healthy pregnancy. We didn’t try listening to the heartbeat but will definitely do that at our next appointment and Jon will be joining me at the appointment.

Last week I finally broke down and called the doctor, begging for something, anything, to help with vomiting. I threw-up four times in one day and I was literally begging for relief. The good, kind doctor prescribed phenergan and it has made all the difference. I’ve been taking it before going to bed and while it hasn’t taken away the nausea; at least I’m not lying on the bathroom floor at work, doing everything within my power not to throw-up for a third or fourth time. (A lovely visual, I know, but that’s how bad it got with Devyn.) So, now I’m dealing with manageable, constant nausea and a severe case of indigestion and heartburn, my poor coworkers are dealing with non-stop burping. It’s quite gross.

The other fun (sarcasm) side effect I’m dealing with is bloating! I’ve already had to run out and grab some bigger clothes to get me through this awkward stage of between pre-pregnancy and maternity clothes. The bloating is so bad at times that I look as though I’m already four or five months pregnant. I know I’m going to start showing earlier this time around but eight weeks?! Give me a break! So, there’s the lowdown on this pregnancy thus far. I know that in the end, it’ll all be worth it and I’ll forget all about the first trimester pains once I feel this little one move. I just need to keep that in mind. I really can’t wait to hear the heartbeat for the first time! That is an incredible experience, every time!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
11:35 AM delete

It is incredible isn't it? I'm glad you are getting the nausea under "something" of control! Phenergan completely puts me to sleep, but it works.

Thanks for the update!

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
11:59 AM delete

I can really relate. I can't wait to feel this little one move...it is driving me nuts. I'm hoping we'll be able to feel her/him sooner this time...do you think? Do you have a hope for a boy or girl?

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
2:26 PM delete

I actually felt the baby around 12 weeks - very faintly, but you know how it's supposed to feel so it was easy to discern. I joke with my hubby and say, "I think I'm feeling the baby - nope - that was gas!" hahahahahahah

Glad you're not throwing up. And yes, you will be moving out of those lovely clothes into the "between" stuff now. I was the same way.

I'm glad you're excited! Big hugs!

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
5:57 PM delete

I am so glad your appointment went well this time! I am so happy for you. We should do lunch again soon or I could come by your parents house. I still haven't been there!

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
9:18 PM delete

again, my desire to be a cute pregnant lady soon keeps lessening. although i wish i could say i was preggers as an excuse for growing. snap. ;-) can't wait to see you!

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
7:42 AM delete

YEAH! No more throwing up! I was nauseated constantly for my first 13 weeks, then it disappeared overnight. So I wish that for you. Keep the updates coming! But not about the puke! :)

Reply
avatar
Tammy
AUTHOR
7:50 PM delete

Just wanted to say that I'm so excited for you. It's been four years since I was pregnant but I remember so many details and miss parts of it (others not so much!)
Congratulations!
~Tammy

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
8:42 AM delete

Yeah, babies!! So glad the meds are helping you out. It's amazing how something so small can mess with your entire body!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
3:05 PM delete

How exciting!! Glad to hear your nausea is somewhat aleviated by the phenergan.

Reply
avatar
Susan
AUTHOR
10:50 AM delete

Oh my Gosh, I have missed so much!

I am so excited for you and I would hug you if we could! :)

Glad to hear the "sickiness" is passing some.

I am praying for you!!!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
11:20 AM delete

Just found your blog through Katherine's site. I love it! I'll be back.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:27 AM delete

Have you tried Preggie Pops? They are flavored suckers for pregnancy nausea. I bought them at Babies R Us and Baby Depot (In Nashville, TN) and they did the trick most days for me. Good luck!

Emmy

Reply
avatar