Princess Bride

Sunday, June 04, 2006 1 Comments A+ a-

Yesterday was my friend, Marianne's wedding. She looked absolutely beautiful! Her dress reminded me, and several of her nieces, of Belle's dress in Beauty and the Beast. Isn't she just gorgeous?! She and Dennis are going to be extremely happy, I just know it!

Marianne and I became best friends in 9th grade, we shared lockers, secrets, commiserated about our lack of endowments in the chest area (oh wait, we still do that), fought over boys, got our licenses at the same time, got into mischeif, and slowly evolved into a wonderful friendship. The only downside to our friendship is our differences in beliefs. She is a Mormon and I am a saved-by-grace believer... BIG differences in our beliefs. The only way to conquer those kinds of differences was to stick to the agreement we made in 9th grade that she had her beliefs, I had mine, and we'd never try to convert the other. We've had plenty of theological discussions and we're both willing to talk if the other has questions but NO converting. I'm not sure what's God's stance on this kind of agreement is but its allowed me to have a wonderful, beautiful friendship in my life.

I was the only bridesmaid that wasn't a part of the family, even though she considers me one, and the only member of the bridal party that wasn't Mormon. In fact, I think my family were the only non-Mormon guests there. It was interesting to say the least. She even included Devyn in the nieces and nephews photos, which touched my heart to say the least.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
11:47 AM delete

Jenn, I think it's a beautiful thing, what you and Marianne have. I know first hand that the best witness we have to our mormon friends is our own walk with the Lord. For mormons, it's not about a relationship with Christ, it's about rules and self achievement, climbing the "spiritual ladder" so to speak. It's a very hopeless thing for the soul, so I've found that my greatest witness to my mormon friends is sharing about God's amazing grace in my life and about how He's loving, teaching, and growing me and how grateful I am every day that there's nothing I can do to earn His favor, I already have it! Keep it up my friend, God is love after all!
Sarah

Reply
avatar