POAS Obsession

Friday, June 16, 2006 11 Comments A+ a-

I have an obsession problem. Now before I continue, I need to forewarn any males (brothers-in-law, dad, father-in-law, male friends, even my husband) that they may want to stop reading at this point. From here on out, I will be talking about female stuff and since I'm a female, I feel that's my prerogative.

Now I'm sure you're all wondering what POAS is all about. For those that aren't familiar with fertility jargon, I thought I'd give you a crash course about the abbreviations that may be coming up in my posts. Now don't think I've jumped off the deep end, because I haven't. You'll find most of these abbreviations among women discussing their conceiving journey on several websites such as IVillage, Fertility Friend, and other online boards. I did not make these up.

POAS - Peeing on a Stick
TTC - Trying to Conceive
BFP - Big, Fat Positive
BFN - Big, Fat Negative
BD - Baby Dancing (more commonly known as s-e-x)
DH - Dear Hubby
AF - Aunt Flow (AKA periods, cycles, or "you-know")
O - Ovulation

Ok, now I won't be talking about all of these things but I figured a well-rounded education never hurt anyone, right? Now, back to my POAS obssession. Basically, I don't think I can stop. Seriously. I took my first test almost two weeks ago, where the faintest line you ever saw appeared. Between the first day and today, not including the tests I've taken it at the doctor's office, I've taken a total of 10 tests! Good grief! Now, it'd be one thing if I had these tests just lying around the house and I decided to put them to good use, but noooooooo, not I. I've actually stopped at the store to buy these additional tests!

I'm not sure what I'm expecting to happen. Do I think that one of them will suddenly turn out negative? Am I expecting one of the tests to jump up and down and say "ha ha, just kidding"?! I'm really not sure. But I do know that every time I take a test and two lines appear (both plenty dark now), I feel a sense of relief. I think I'm in shock that we got pregnant so fast this time; almost as if I wasn't quite ready for the tests to turn positive. And know each time I take a test, and those two lines appear, it's starting to sink in a little more.

But really, somethings got to be done about this obsession with pregnancy tests, my pocketbook can't handle it and I think my husband is starting to believe that I need to be committed.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
6:17 PM delete

Put. down. the. stick. Have Jon call all surrounding pharmacies, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. & have you black-listed from these specific purchases. Don't make me catch the next red-eye...

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
7:02 PM delete

Girl, put down the stick and walk away calmly. You can do this. Take a deep breath, come to grips with the fact that you are REALLLLY pregnant. It's all good - stop giving money to the man! Stop!

(I took 3 in a row before I believed it)

Where's Sarah? She needs to get to you fast - no more POAS!!!!!! You hear me?

;o)

Reply
avatar
8:52 PM delete

Congrats! Stop taking tests and start obsessing about baby names!

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
10:13 PM delete

.take one more. haha, jk--i just wanted to sit on the opposite shoulder of everyone else for a second.

Reply
avatar
Mrs Blythe
AUTHOR
2:41 AM delete

lol. I remember my husband and I having a heated discussion about whether there was a line on the stick or not. It turned out I was pregnant in the end and I was quite smug about being right. I did take a few tests to be sure thought. There is a great test which removes all doubt, instead of a line a little digital screen says 'pregnant' or 'not-pregnant'. This was much better for me as the line tests were too vague for me - I would be holding the test up to the light at intervals of 5 minutes all day, just to check I was right. :o)

Reply
avatar
Beck
AUTHOR
6:46 AM delete

Aw, you're pregnant! Whenever I get a positive pregnancy test - and that would be three times now, to go with my three kids - I pee on the rest of the sticks, too, just to be sure. I've always have the too-late brilliant idea to tuck away the positive test sticks to use on any occasion that seems appropriate, like April Fool's Day.....

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
12:39 PM delete

This actually encourages me. I'm not the only obssessed one! My obsession with pregnancy tests comes when I am nursing and not receiving those regular visit from Aunt Flow :) Anytime I get a bit nauseous I begin to wonder...

Reply
avatar
4:52 PM delete

I'm right there with you girl. My husband took away the pocketbook! I think it because in the very beginning, that's all you have to tell you for sure. Unless your'e sick, of course. Anyhow, thanks for "coming out of the closet" on this one...you're not alone!!
Blessings!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
9:14 PM delete

Jenn, you've got me in stiches! And all the comments are adding to my laughing fit. Now, you know what I'm going to say, but I'll go ahead and say it anyway. Stopping with these tests means two positive things for you. One, it means you are having faith that God is not tricking you and that He is taking care of your little baby as we speak. Two, you and Jon are trying to be better stewards of your money, and taking wonderful steps in that direction I might add, so making yourself stop buying the tests is good practice for healthy spending. You can do it my friend with the Lord's help, I have faith in you!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:27 PM delete

Jenn,
I just want to dido Sarah's comment!

Reply
avatar
10:53 AM delete

That is hilarious! It doesn't seem real to me until I can't button real jeans anymore. Pee away!

Reply
avatar