Mommy Meltdown

Sunday, June 11, 2006 12 Comments A+ a-

I'm a laid-back mom, in fact, I drive my mother crazy because I'm so laid-back. If Devyn wants to climb up on the ottoman and jump off like the cat does, be my guest. If she gets hurt, its a lesson learned. If Devyn wants to shove a few dog food pieces in her mouth, well, it won't kill her. Now, don't get me wrong, if she's heading for the electrical outlets or the paring knife, I'll step in and lay down the law. Overall, I'm just a fairly relaxed mom.

However, this week I was not so calm and relaxed. I'm extremely blessed in that my mom and my sisters all pitch in and watch Devyn while I'm at work, I pay them but not nearly what I'd be paying a daycare center. And quite frankly, a daycare center wouldn't even be an option in our house because I'd quit my job first, but I digress. Since Devyn isn't in a daycare, she's rarely been sick and we've had little cause for concern in that area. On Tuesday, my sister, Allie, called me at work to let me know that Devyn just threw up twice and my week went downhill from there...



She seemed better by the time I got home, so I didn't think anything of it. I just wrapped her in a cozy blanket and cuddled on the couch together, both falling asleep for a good nap. I woke up to some wrenching sounds and was soon covered in vomit. (
We all know how I feel about vomit.) Luckily, Jon had just pulled up and was able to keep his end of our mommy-handles-poopy-diapers-and-daddy-handles-vomit agreement. Throughout the night Devyn proceeded to throw up five times and kept us up until 2:00 in the morning. By the next morning she was running a temp of 102.5 and I was starting to lose my relaxed attitude.

We made a doctor appointment that morning and was told to expect the virus to last approximately three to five days and to just keep her hydrated.
How the heck do you keep an 18-month-old hydrated when she's throwing up the water you just gave her? By the second night, Devyn's temperature refused to come down from the 102.7-103 range, despite tepid baths and alternating dosages of tylenol and ibuprofon. I finally lost it... I was holding my listless, hot-to-the-touch baby girl who was looking at me with eyes filled with misery and those same eyes were pleading with mine for relief. I've never seen my daughter this sick in my life and there didn't seem to be anything I could do for her but hold her and reassure her that mommy was here. I had tears rolling down my face as we discussed taking her to the emergency room or waiting it out at home. There is nothing worse than wanting to care and protect this incredible miracle being held in your arms, one whose sole care depends on you, and feeling absolutely helpless to do so.

By Friday night, we were desperate for our active, spunky, tempermental, talkative, and smiling toddler to return to us. We craved her laughter and her inquisitive nature and were becoming tired of the listless, clingy child she's turned into. By Saturday night, she was showing signs of her old self and was even becoming more insistent on the coddling. Needless to say, it was great to have her back, tantrums and all.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Lori
AUTHOR
10:03 PM delete

My husband and I have the same diaper/vomit deal. I can't stand it. I think that it's the helplessness that comes along with it... especially when kids are young. I am glad that she is feeling better. I will be sure to say a litle prayer for her tonight anyway. :)

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
9:37 AM delete

Mmkay... YEAH!! Miss D is feeling better. My prayers have been with you. And continue.
And for the "keeping a vomitting child hydrated" we always do the Pedialyte popsicles. Hydration & a special treat. wwwhhheeeee!! In times like that I go for Pedialyte for the electrolites, fluids & calories in one sweet treat. But otherwise, I'm not a sugary-treat giving mama. And S does jump off our couches. We're raising a monkey, I know. {{winks}} I'll blame gymnastics for giving her the courage to jump off things.
luv ya! ~J

Reply
avatar
12:48 AM delete

oh - I feel for yoiu. Illness terrifies me. To see them sick and suffering and not be albe to help them is the worst feeling an parent can have.

Glad she is feeling better now though.

I am here cause of Joy. We profiled her on our blog and she mentioned you.

Nice to meet you - you have a lovely site.

Reply
avatar
Mrs Blythe
AUTHOR
3:40 AM delete

Hi, I came via Joy's blog. You are one of her blogs of the week.

Glad that your little one has improved. There's nothing more worrying than a sick baby. I too have a hideous vomit phobia. Mine was so bad I used to run home from school if someone so much as mentioned that they felt a little icky. So you can imagine what I'm like when my kiddies are ill! Doh. My little ones were both sick on their bedroom floor recently. I became obsessed that I could still smell it and got through pints of carpet cleaner. It's a good job God loves me faults and all :o)

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
6:22 AM delete

Jess-I tried the popsicles thing too. She didn't want anything to do with them. Argh! But yes, our baby is slowly coming around again.

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
8:18 AM delete

It was really good to see you and Devyn on Sat. I am glad that she is feeling better. Lova Ya!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
9:18 AM delete

Oh sweetie...our prayers have so been with you guys! I am so very thankful that she did not have to go in to the hospital for fluids. I remember when Cal was that age and he was going both ways...would not take anything to drink or suck on because he was just to punk to want anything. He ended up going into the hospital for two days and you do completely feel helpless!! Funny thing I remember that same virus got us all. When Patrick came to pick up Cal and I from the hospital, both Christiana and Cole were sitting in the back of the van, holding these big, orange plastic cups, to vomit in as we drove home! It was just exhausting both physically and metally on us, the parents, because we want to take that hurt and pain for them. It is those times when I am reminded to be so thankful that this is just a virus and it will pass. I can totally relate to what you went through and that is what brought you into our prayers everyday of last week, just knowing what you were enduring as a family.
I love you sweetie. Please give Devyn big hugs and kisses from all of us...and of course Jon too!
Colleen

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:32 AM delete

Poor sweet Devyn. She scared the crap out of me when I came over the other day and she wasn't moving or making any noises. Just wanted to cuddle and sleep. I told her I would have taken it away if I could have.

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
11:23 AM delete

I am SO the same way you are - I'd clean up a dirty butt anyday but if I see, hear or smell puke, move over cause I'm joining ya! So hubby will have to help me in that area big time.

Glad she's feeling better. I know that's so frustrating, but I know you must have been happy to see her back to her old self!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
1:18 PM delete

Seems that many of us have a vomit phobia! :) I tend to worry more about "how in the world am I going to clean this up and not have it smell?" instead of being compassionate to my child. I never could of made it as a nurse. SO very glad that Devyn is feeling better. What an ordeal!

Reply
avatar
3:33 PM delete

You did the best thing - hold her and let her know you're there. You are such a good mom.

By the way, I tagged you for a little meme if you have a minute this week!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete

Oh, it's so hard to witness your baby not feeling well or hurting! I have a tendency to cry when I'm faced with these situations. But good job on comforting her to the best of your ability while she was sick. Kuddos to you, Mommy!

Reply
avatar