Blog Spotlight

Friday, June 02, 2006 5 Comments A+ a-

A fellow blogger recently started a weekly meme that I find very interesting. She is highlighting specific blogs and their writers once a week in her Blog of the Week meme. It has been fascinating to read why others blog and learn more about their specific site. I found it so appealing that I’ve decided to do my own entries, although I doubt I’ll do it once a week. I’ll probably only do it once every other week or so.

I’ve contacted a number of blogs that I read on a daily/weekly basis to see if they’d be interested in have their blog "spotlighted". If I did not get in touch with you, it’s because I was unable to find your email address but if you’re interested, feel free to get in touch with me by clicking on the Email Me link in the sidebar.

Now, without further ado, I’d like to introduce you to the woman behind the "Blog Spotlight" idea. She is from the blog entitled Overwhelmed with Joy, mommy of SnuggleBug, and wife to Oronzo. I found her through another site and have really enjoyed her writing style and reading about her adoption of SnuggleBug. For a better understanding of the author, please read on:

Q: What inspired you to start blogging?
You’ll laugh, but it was a disagreement with Oronzo that nudged me to blog! I’d been lurking for months, reading other’s blogs, but never having the courage to do my own blogging. One day, Oronzo decided to design a password-protected family website, where we could post our pictures and do a bit of blogging. I did a lot more than a little blogging there, and not always about family matters. My creative, writing juices were unleased! Oronzo got agitated that I was deviating from family topics, fearing what his family would think when they read my blogs. He had the audacity to delete a piece that I had written and I stormed into our office and gave him a good tongue lashing (I am Irish, after all) for daring to censor me!

He shouted out, "If you don’t like it, blog somewhere else!"

I responded back with an emphatic, "I will!" and stormed back out.

And so, I started blogging in the blogger account that I had set up back in January, the one that I had originally intended to use just for commenting on other’s blogs.

Q: What’s the meaning behind your blog name?
Well, way back in the beginning of our adoption journey, I was trying to research our options and ended up feeling quite overwhelmed. I found an adoption news board and created a user account called, Overwhelmed!, to reflect my feelings. After our adoption was finalized, someone came across one of my old posts and offered some advice, not knowing that everything had worked out well for us. Another user stepped in and wrote, "She’s now overwhelmed with joy because they’ve adopted their little angel." Overwhelmed with Joy caught my fancy and that’s what I decided to name this blog. It’s appropriate.

Q: What are some of the major themes of your blog?
Obviously adoption and raising my beloved Snuggle Bug are the most prevalent themes thus far, but there are also themes about elderly parents, the joys and tribulations of family, cooking, the blessings and treasures in my life, marriage, divorce (not mine, thank goodness), new life, and death, and much more yet to come!

Q: Do you have any "Real Life People" reading your blog?
At this point, no. Despite the fact that Oronzo ticked me off and I started this blog to spite him, I have contemplated sharing it with him, but I haven’t quite done it yet. He’s probably the only one I’ll want to share it with. Well, I take that back, I have full intentions of one day sharing it with Snuggle Bug when he’s old enough to understand. But by not sharing it with other RLP, I feel a sense of freedom to blog about issues that I struggle to work through, without offending those I write about.

Q: What else would you like your readers to know about you, that they may not already?
I haven’t admitted it until now but I used to be a news reporter. My major was Journalism and I got a Reporter job after graduating from college, doing mainly special feature stories. It paid peanuts and I had to work two jobs to keep up with paying back student loans and other bills, but I enjoyed it. I even got a piece picked up by the AP! Eventually, I got lured away from the newspaper industry by a job that offered twice what I was making as a Reporter. I still love to write and the Blog of the Week Q&As that I do give me a taste of my old news reporting days, just in a different way. Oddly enough, my spelling stinks and always has (thank goodness for Merriam- Webster online and spell check)! And I’ve always struggled with the concept of brevity, as my blog and my responses to this Q&A will attest to!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Mary
AUTHOR
12:59 PM delete

How cool! I'm in!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
1:32 PM delete

Thanks for wanting to spotlight my blog! You'll have the exclusive on me. :)

I'm also happy to hear that you'll be carrying on and spotlighting other blogs in the future. I'm really enjoying getting to know a bit more about the authors behind the bloggers! :)

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
2:08 PM delete

Let the good times roll!

Reply
avatar
9:47 PM delete

Just stumbled on your blog from Susie's place. Neat! I'll be back.

Reply
avatar
Susan
AUTHOR
5:02 AM delete

I will post about this today! Thanks for including me! :)

Reply
avatar