Blog Spotlight

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7 Comments A+ a-

I thought it only fitting that I spotlight the woman who introduced me to blogging in the first place. My mother-in-law was bragging about her blog and what a funny woman she was, so I had to check it out. Jessica is my husband's cousin and one of the most sincere, down-to-earth, genuine, and real women I know. She's able to tell a story that'll keep you in stitches or wanting more. We've become good friends through our blogs and I treasure her friendship immensely. So, without further ado, Jessica from OMamaMia.

What inspired you to start blogging?
I started my blogging mis-adventures on blogspot, with the intentions of keeping family members up to date on the daily life of Sophia. With The Hub being in the Navy, its not often that we are blessed with living near family. I was getting lazy & tired of taking hourse on end just e-mailing pictures to family, when I found out about blogging from a fellow Navy wife great friend, Ellie
. Jackpot! I began obsessively posting pictures on my blogspot. Then I began telling occasional stories, but just shot little snippets. The more I wrote, the more I wanted to write. In April, I moved to my own site & have found a great friend in the gal who did my design, Chelle I've been having a blast "meeting" other bloggers & sharing life experiences.

What's the meaning behind your blog name?
When I started blogging, I didn't attempt anything great, I was a pretty un-catchy title of Jess' World. YAWN! A few months later, I was feeling a little Italian and changed the name to "tutto a pezzi", translates "all to pieces", which was quite fitting. Sophia was almost 20 months old at that time, and still not sleeping more than 2 to 3 hour "naps" at night. I was frazzled. We knew she had food allergies, but hadn't figured them all out. So "tutto a pezzi" fit perfectly. When I moved my blog, I wanted a new, fresh, Mama-fied name, and O Mama Mia came almost instantly. I love it! It fits the still exhausted, loving my full time Mama job that is my life. I think this one's a keeper.

What are some of the major themes of your blog?
Mama-ing, of course, is my maddening major theme when I blog; be it, Sophia trials & tribulations, or struggling with learning how to raise a child & not mess her up too terribly, or joyful SAHM moments. But I'm trying to get back to Me, too. Not selfishly, just trying to keep in focus that being well-rounded is better than being obsessively single-minded, even if it is about my Princess. I've just started doing some memes, to pull me up. I really enjoy Faithful Mommy's Treasure Tuesday and Kdubs Wordless Wednesday. I love cooking and reading so I'll dabble with those topics, too.

Do you have any "Real Life People" reading your blog?
Since I began blogging for the sole purpose of keeping in touch with loved ones, I do have RLP readers. But every now & then, I wish I had the complete blogosphere freedom to write my true heart. But to keep loved ones un-offended I try my hardest to stick to happiness & not stepping on toes.

What is one of the biggest lessons you've learned from blogging?
HHHmmmm.... that a tough one. Since I still consider myself a "newbie" to blogging, I'm learning things daily. Learning about others and still discovering me. So I couldn't say....

What else would you like your readers to know about you, that they may not already?
Wow! I don't think there is anything left to know, if you've read the "Adore Me" page on my blog. I don't have quite 100 Things, but it covers a lot about me. Ok, maybe that I've always had a really strong desire to adopt a child. That's something that I've never written about, or talked about much, but have felt for as long as I can remember. I feel completely blessed that God has allowed me to birth my daughter, Sophia. So I'm by no means saying that I'm not satisfied with what God has given me. But I think there is a unique blessing in adoption to give a wonderful life to a child, who may not otherwise have the gift of a loving family home. I guess now that I've brought this up, I shouldn't say too much, because I wouldn't want to hurt anyone else's feelings. I've read blogs that show both sides of this situation, and they both leave me feeling like I just want to hug them both because they leave me at a loss for words. I've seen the joy that an adoption can bring to a family & child, but I've never witnessed the pain of giving up a child for adoption, so this is a tender subject, to even begin to talk about. So I'll stop now.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
11:46 AM delete

I'm honored... and um... may I now change all my answers? And honored to know you, as my cousin's wife & as a sister in a much greater family. You are a treasure & I love our frienship.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
12:35 PM delete

Hey, I recognize those questions (with the exception of the 5th one)! :) It's so good to see others spotlighting fellow bloggers.

I already follow Jessica's blog and I really enjoy it! I didn't realize she's related to your husband. Neat!

I've done another of my Blog of the Week posts today. Stop by and take a peek. :)

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
12:44 PM delete

Great post! I'll have to stop by and visit her!

Reply
avatar
Just Nancy
AUTHOR
4:21 PM delete

I'm checking out her blog, and this is my first time here. I came through the family friendly blogroll!

Nice to meet you and her!

Reply
avatar
4:27 PM delete

Thanks! I'm going over to check her out now! How are you feeling, by the way? Any morning sickness yet??

Reply
avatar
Michelle
AUTHOR
9:31 PM delete

I already read Jess's blog, but had to come over and read her answers :) And say a congrats to you on expecting your second!

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
5:41 AM delete

Thanks Michelle! We're very excited. Joy - No morning sickness yet, just nausea that comes and goes throughout the day. My fingers are crossed that it won't be as bad as last time - I threw up 3-4 times a day with Devyn for 5-6 weeks. Yuck!

Reply
avatar