Blog Spotlight

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5 Comments A+ a-


For this week's Blog Spotlight, I thought I'd highlight the blog that I found immediately after I started blogging myself. I found Elizabeth's site, Motherhood is Not for Wimps, via a Google search for Mommy Blogs. Her blog is one of the first that was listed, so I visited and am so I glad I found her. She is hilarious, and finds humor if even the most disgusting of things. But I also find that she touches on motherhood in a way that I could but can't. One of my favorite entries by Elizabeth is about nursing; talk about getting to the heart of the matter. Wow! So, without further ado, more about Elizabeth and being "DaMomma".

What inspired you to start blogging?
I've always wanted to be a writer and someone suggested that was a great way to break into regular publishing. Not so far, lol, but tons of fun anyway.

What’s the meaning behind your blog name?
Well, "damomma" is what Mare called me when she was litle. As in "I WANT DA MOMMA!" or, looking at Cute Husband, "YOU'RE NOT DA MOMMA!!" So it stuck. The "Motherhood is not for wimps," thing is actually the mantra I relied on post partum with Mary. I was in pretty bad shape, trying to get out of bed, barely able to stand up. I was pretty beat up but I really loved that kid. So when I stood up and it hurt, I whispered "Motherhood is not for wimps." Seemed like something other people could relate to, probably.

What are some of the major themes of your blog?
The happiness and joy of motherhood and family life; the complexity and simplicity of it; the banality and craziness we all endure in this incredible, sacred task of taking care of these precious people in trust for their future selves.

Do you have any "Real Life People" reading your blog?
Um, yeah. I found out who was reading when I mentioned on it that I was pregnant. :)

What is one of the biggest lessons you’ve learned from blogging?
How much we all need each other. How worthless it is to sit around trying to "beat" each other -- this job is too tough to try to parent anyone else's children but your own. We need the inspiration, support, humor, insights we mothers can offer each other. We're not always going to agree, but about the good stuff, we really should be able to.

What else would you like your readers to know about you, that they may not already?
Oh, gee, if I haven't mentioned it, I probably don't want them to know, lol! Okay, how about that it really means the world to me that they read, that I really am so touched by every comment, every note. It's not the big book deal of my dreams, but in many ways it's so much richer. It's a much nicer, friendlier world than anyone supposes and I am grateful.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Joy
AUTHOR
1:24 PM delete

Wow, thanks for interviewing Elizabeth. I love her blog! Well I've never actually commented on it so she won't have a clue who I am... is that terrible? reading and not commenting? Anyway, she is incredibly gifted at writing. I'd give her a book deal if I could!

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
1:40 PM delete

Yeah! Another blog to check out! Great spotlight!

Hope you're feeling okay today!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
2:32 PM delete

I'll have to go check out Elizabeth's blog. Thanks for spotlighting it.

Reply
avatar
3:22 PM delete

Thanks for steering us toward another interesting mom out there in the blog world. Great job!

Hope you are doing better today!

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
7:42 AM delete

Thank you for my lovely spotlight!

Your blog is so beautiful and spiritual and colorful, Jen!

Reply
avatar