American as Apple Pie

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10 Comments A+ a-

My dad and I had a date last night. We went to a baseball game, enjoyed our beer and peanuts (ok, water for me), and had a great time. Without getting incredibly sappy, as I'm prone to do, all I'm going to say is that I do love my dad.

Being the father of four girls (yes, four girls, poor dad), we have to admit that he weathered it pretty darn well. We never made it easy for him and I still remember him lumbering downstairs to remind our slumber parties, in a not-so-gentle-way, to "Keep it down! Some people still have to work in the morning!" He's never been the dad to hold us in his lap, tell us how beautiful we are, or how proud he is of us, and while I know that every little girl needs that, we knew how he felt because he showed it in his own way. When he grabs us in a head-lock and rubs our heads, we know he's trying to be affectionate. When he answers the phone with "Hey Ugly", we know he's calling us pretty or beautiful. With my father, it's reading between the lines that's important. And being able to understand his heart, without him being able to express it.

But the best part about my father is that at 53 and 26 years of age, we're still going on dates. I love dates with my dad and I love that he takes time to have a date with each daughter once every other month. I love that he'll suggest a dinner or movie and knowing that its going to be just the two of us; no siblings, no spouses, and no children. It's an incredible opportunity to catch-up on each other's lives and try to reconnect as father and daughter. Yes, my father may not be the most smooth-talking, affectionate, or wealthy man, but I'll take him any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. Happy Father's Day, Dad!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
9:08 AM delete

so cute Jenn, makes me miss my dad terribly. What I wouldn't give to have a date with my dad as a woman now. He never got to know me as a woman, that's such a treasure you have. Closing went well yesterday, it's good to have it done. Talk to you soon!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
10:10 AM delete

Oh sweetness! I miss living near my Dad so much. He's the mushy brings flowers home for Mom for no reason kinda Dad. Makes it kinda hard for a Hub to live up. Or for me to let it go, huh? Sounds like y'all had a great time. No Near Beer for ya at the stands? Bummer. Only 8 more months to go.

Reply
avatar
10:50 AM delete

Wow! I totally do not mind sap when it comes to dads. One of my favorite sayings is "Kids spell love T-I-M-E. Sounds like your dad has figured that out and more. What a blessing.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
2:22 PM delete

That is so neat that you and your dad have dates! What a great dad you have!

Reply
avatar
3:51 PM delete

This is so sweet!! I'm sure as Devyn grows, she'll have the oppourtunity to go on some dates with Grandpa too!!

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
7:56 AM delete

What a beautiful picture - date night with Dad. I dont' have the opportunity because my dad lives 12 hours away. But I bet if I did, we'd have a blast!

Great post!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
1:18 PM delete

That's a really good picture of dad. I always forget how good looking he is.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
2:32 PM delete

That warms my heart. I would love to go on dates with my dad, no matter how old I get. What a great idea to hold on to for our own children too.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:05 PM delete

That's a great picture of both of you! I absolutely love it. You couldn't have painted a more perfect picture of dad. Great blog!

Reply
avatar
Meghan
AUTHOR
11:50 AM delete

So I know this post is almost 5 years old, but I love it! I'm blessed to have such a great relationship with my daddy too!

Reply
avatar