Love Talk Starter

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2 Comments A+ a-

This week's Love Talk Starter is:

"How do you feel about friendships with the opposite sex? It is possible to be "just friends"? Do you think that once you are married, specific boundaries should be set around these relationships? If so, what are those boundaries?"

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
10:11 AM delete

What a doozy!! My thoughts on this (after almost 21 years of marriage): NEVER NEVER NEVER think it can't happen to you. Our boundaries are: never be alone with someone of the opposite sex (business lunches are always a threesome for my husband), never share intimate secrets, be careful being close physically, etc. I am even careful just joking around with my friends' husbands.

It may sound harsh, but you can't protect your own marriage with enough safeguards. I wish all couples would discuss this! Great idea!

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
3:14 PM delete

I really thought, and was hoping, that this question would get more responses. I agree, that we need to protect our marriages with all that we have. I, for one, will never give up my marriage without a fight.

My husband and I have a lot of the same rules. We avoid situations of being alone with a member of the opposite sex; intimate friendships with members of the opposite sex are absolutely forbidden; and we're very careful with our couple friends. There is something sacred about keeping our marriage free of doubt and distrust.

Reply
avatar