I Can't Wait...

Monday, May 15, 2006 3 Comments A+ a-

This seems like an appropriate time of year to get this on here. I wrote this when Devyn was about six months old; it was something that had been weighing on my heart after a friend and I had a long conversation about stopping and enjoying the little moments in life. It's really tough after a baby joins the family to stop the daily routine of household chores and just bask in the knowledge that a miracle is happening before our very eyes.

I Can't Wait...
I can’t wait to see my daughter’s face as she skips through a field of flowers.
… to watch the breeze brush her face as she swings.
I can’t wait to sit in the grass and make a wreath for her hair.
… to lie on the ground and see pictures in the clouds.

I can’t wait to see flour marks on her cheeks as we bake cookies.
… for the first time that she says mama or takes her first steps.
I can’t wait for her sloppy kisses and sweet hugs.
… to sit on the floor and watch as she plays.

I can’t wait until she feels dew on her feet for the first time.
… for the first snowball fight with her daddy.
I can’t wait to have hot chocolate and marshmallows ready for when they come in.
… to kiss her cheeks and nose, red from the cold.

I can’t wait for tickle-time, as her belly shakes with laughter.
… to watch as she looks at objects with wonder, trying to figure them out.
I can’t wait to get her in the tub and get wet from her splashes.
… to breathe in her baby scent, fresh from the bath.

I can’t wait to sit on the porch during a summer storm,
… to watch the lightening as it dances across the sky.
I can’t wait to point out the rainbow after the rain,
… to watch her face as discovers the beautiful prism.

I can’t wait to stop what I’m doing for a quick hug.
… to feel her arms around my neck as she snuggles in.
I can’t wait for the incessant questions as she explores this world.
… to feel like I have all the answers and I am her hero.

But most of all, I can’t wait for her naps, when I lay her down to sleep.
I love watching the gentle rhythm of her chest as she breathes.
I love hearing the contented sighs or smiles that cross her lips.
I love leaning down and smelling her baby-breath.
I love stroking her soft cheek and knowing that she’s all mine.

Standing by her crib is my time to thank God for such a precious gift.
This is my time to reflect on how I’m doing as a mother.
This is my time to delight in my role in her life.
This is my time to ask God for the strength and wisdom I need to raise my baby girl.

Dishes can pile up, dust can collect in the corners, and laundry can sit by the washer;
My time belongs to my daughter and I’m going to savor every moment!
By: JenniferG (May, 2005)

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Joy
AUTHOR
10:05 AM delete

That's beautiful. Those moments with our boys have been so wonderfully precious. And I can't wait to experience them again with our little girl. Childhood is so amazing!

Reply
avatar
Susan
AUTHOR
12:34 PM delete

That was beautiful! You should frame that and hang it in her room.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
1:51 PM delete

Absolutely beautiful!

Hey, I just realized that you have me listed under your "favorite sites" catagorey. Thanks a lot! I'm going to go link you on mine as well. :)

Reply
avatar