Happily Ever After... So Far

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12 Comments A+ a-

Today we’re celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary. Wow! On one hand, it feels like we were just married yesterday but on the other hand, it feels like we’ve been together forever. With the rate of successful marriages slipping downward, I feel so blessed for each anniversary that we celebrate and hope that I never take Jon or our marriage for granted.

Jon and I met in the fall of 1995 at the young ages of 14 and 16 years old. Our church youth groups were going on a mission trip to Guatemala and had decided to prepare and train both youth teams at the same time. Very little happened during those months, we became better friends on our plane ride down to Guatemala and actually spent the last night on our mission trip talking to each other. I remember looking into his smiling eyes and thinking, "This is a great guy. He could definitely be someone special in my life." But as fickle as young minds and hearts are, I ended up dating someone else from his youth group and he started ‘going out’ with the youth pastor’s daughter.

Fast-forward two years and suddenly we found ourselves going to the same church and youth group. I was an adult 18 years old, in my senior year of high school, and he was in his junior year of high school; we reconnected and started dating. From my end, this wasn’t going to be anything serious, just something fun to pass the time until graduation. As far as Jon was concerned, I was hot (his words, not mine) and he was also looking for a fun way to pass the time. Needless to say, we fell in love, or what we considered love at that time, and it continued to grow from there. Our "fun" turned into discussions and hopes of the future and I even stayed in town to go to the community college.

Upon Jon’s graduation, we saw a few of our friends who married right out of high school end in divorce or extremely unhappy marriages. We both agreed to wait a few years and see where this relationship went. If we were still happy and felt that God was leading us to marriage, we would cross that bridge when we came to it. Obviously, we took that step. I’m often in awe as I look where God has led us to the present.

Our relationship has never been worry- or problem-free; we have had our moments and Lord knows, I’ve given Jon many opportunities to pause and "re-think" our relationship. There are things in my past that I would rather forget altogether, just because of the shame I brought on myself and the pain I caused Jon. But God is sovereign and has placed one of the most forgiving men in my life. Jon has continually shown me grace and unconditional love during times that a weaker man would have run. There are times that I wonder what I did to deserve such an incredible man but know that it was only by God’s divine plan that Jon is in my life.

So, handsome, here’s to you in celebration of four beautiful years, and the hope of sixty more!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Susan
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete

Happy Anniversary!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
10:53 AM delete

Happy 4th anniversary!

As you probably know (because I blogged about it) my husband and I just celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary on 5/17.

Like you, I try never to take our marriage for granted. We had many bumps along the road before getting married, but we worked together to get through them. We still have the occasional bump as a married couple, but we're working through those as well.

It seems there is so much unhappiness and divorce these days, so I love hearing about others who are happy in their marriages.

Congrats! May God bless you with many more years of happiness together!

Oh, would you care to share a wedding picture? I'd love to see one. :)

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
11:58 AM delete

I really wanted to post a photo from our wedding but I realized last night that all of our wedding photos are in storage. The joy of moving!! =) Thanks everyone!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
1:31 PM delete

That's awesome. Congrats!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
2:44 PM delete

Congratulations you guys!!! It does not seem like four years already, it seemed like just a year or two ago that you were driving us crazy planning for the wedding. =)

Reply
avatar
Jes
AUTHOR
4:05 PM delete

WHHHEEEEE!!! Many congrats! Now... WHEN are y'all gonna visit??

Reply
avatar
10:18 AM delete

Happy belated anniversary! We are so looking foward to seeing you next weekend!

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
3:43 PM delete

Happy belated Anniversary! We'll be celebrating 3 in November!

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
7:39 AM delete

We share an anniversary, JennG!

Cute Husband and I celebrated our eighth this May 31st!

Congrats, congrats! And what a cute little girl you have!

Beautiful blog, too!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
9:42 AM delete

I just emailed you a little something. :)

Reply
avatar
Michelle
AUTHOR
11:40 AM delete

Congrats on the 4 years!!! Alan and I will be married 9 years on the 20th of this month..I can't believe how fast time flies!!! Alan and I met in 1995 too!! Happy Anniversary :)

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
9:41 PM delete

So, this was your 100th post, eh? I loved it then and I love it now! :)

Thanks for participating in my "Hooray for 100" link exchange. Please spread the word, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to get at least 100 posts. :)

Reply
avatar