Fears Faced and Conquered

Friday, May 05, 2006 1 Comments A+ a-

I rarely talk about my job or all that it entails; I'm not sure why I do that, maybe because my true desire is to be home with our baby girl; but I digress. This week my job sent me to a three-day training entitled "Developing Presentation Skills". [Insert horror music and screams here.]

For as long as I can remember, I absolutely hated getting up in front of people to talk, regardless of whether its a five minute presentation or hour presentation. I want to emphasize, I . . . hate . . . it! In the hours leading up to my presentation, I start sweating profusely, I feel my heart start racing, and I become short of breath. Not a pretty picture, I know. So, imagine my surprise, shock, and horror when I got nominated to help lead some 1500 employees in a training exercise for my company!

To help me prepare for these trainings, my department decided it would be a good idea to send me to a class for three days. I could have handled sitting in the classroom as I was taught the Dos and Don'ts of presenting but I then I discovered that I would actually be presenting to the class, not one, but TWO 15-minute presentations AND they would be video-taped for our watching pleasure! Someone could have thrown a bucket of ice-cold water on me and I would have been less surprised.

Well, I survived . . . barely . . . but I survived. My first presenation was relatively simple to prepare for, I already had the materials, the training supplies, and the PowerPoint presentation but I was a wreck. I faltered, I got flustered, but I made it through. The second presentation was about a favorite subject of mine, blogging, and I have to admit that it went fairly well. I knew my content, I had a good PowerPoint presentation prepared, and I was a bit more at ease.

I don't think I'll be volunteering for any presentation in the near future but I feel more confident in my abilities than before. I'll keep you posted as to how the presentations at work go but in the meantime, I'm pretty proud of myself for facing (I'm not sure about conquering) my fears!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
dana
AUTHOR
3:48 PM delete

i think one of the reasons i chose PR was because i don't mind public speaking--but even if i hated it as a comm major every one of my classes in college had us do speeches all the time... i can't imagine you not doing well in front of a group of people--i can't picture a timid jenn, so i'm glad to hear it went well :)

Reply
avatar