Eggs and Dandelions

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3 Comments A+ a-

We've been moving all weekend and are absolutely exhausted. I am so proud of Jon because we got so much done with his hard work! The only things we have remaining in our house is our bed, nightstand, and TV (because obviously, we can't live without our TV!). We'll finish cleaning these next two days and hope to be in my parents basement by tomorrow night. This should be an interesting six months to say the least!

Now, one of the stipulations before we could move into our parents house, was that we had to do something with our dogs, Jackson and Grady. Mom and Dad already have two dogs and the thought of having four dogs in a brand-new house was just too much for them. (I can't say I blame them, that would have been pure chaos indeed!) So, Jon and I were given the fun task of trying to find Jackson and Grady a home. Luckily, we have some incredible friends who live in the country on a farm and have graciously allowed us to keep the dogs there. They are going to have a blast with all of the room to run, play fetch, chase chickens, etc. In fact, they may have so much fun, they'll forget all about us and refuse to return to our house when the time comes. It was a bit sad as we drove away without them, but I know they're in good hands!

The best part of Jackson and Grady living on a farm for the next six months is that we'll get to visit. It turns out that Devyn was born for farm life and took to it immediately! She loves the goats, the chickens, and horses; she showed no fear upon meeting these animals and even had a ball chasing the chickens around the yard. The only time she had any trepidation was when she met the pigs; she is not a big fan of pigs. The best part was when Cindy, the wife, asked Devyn if she wanted to gather eggs. Devyn turned around and marched right into the hen house; she didn't have to hold any hands; she didn't need to be pointed in the right direction; she just marched right in like she owned the place, admist the hens, chickens, and roosters. She had a great time with Cindy, grabbing the eggs and putting them in the bucket. It makes one pause and wonder about the simplicity and beauty of living on a farm; it offers so much more stimulation for a child's brain than anything else and what an opportunity to be outside. As much as I loved visiting, I don't see myself rushing to buy the next available farm. (After all, can you imagine ME playing a farmer's wife?! It was bad enough to be moved to a town with 1 stoplight!) We'll just continue to play make-believe when we're at their farm. Despite dropping our dogs off, yesterday was a good, good day!

I just love this photo, it shows the trust and love between a father and daughter so eloquently.

There's nothing more simple and beautiful in life, than watching your daughter stop by the side of the road to pick dandelions!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Mary
AUTHOR
11:49 AM delete

Aww. . . that is so sweet! I'm glad she enjoyed her time on the farm. I was raised in KY on a 100 acre farm complete with all the animals! The first thing I ever learned to drive was a John Deere tractor!

It's a great experience and while I wouldn't ever wish to live on a farm again, I miss it. Crazy, huh?

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
6:15 AM delete

AAwwwww..... she's so stinkin precious!!! And fearless, too, eh? I'm so glad there's another one out there like our fearless stinker pants. WWhhheeee! So when ya coming to visit??

Reply
avatar
11:02 AM delete

Nothing melts my heart more than seeing daddies and daughters. Precious!

Reply
avatar