Blogging

Monday, May 08, 2006 7 Comments A+ a-

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm addicted to blogging. There, I've said it, and it’s out there for the whole world to see (at least on the World Wide Web). I'll be forever thankful to Jon's cousin, Jessica, for introducing me to this world and the community I've been able to create via blogging. I've been asked on a number of occasions while I feel the need to put my life on display and I have several reasons for doing this.

The first and most important is this; it has been a great way to stay in touch with family and friends. We have family and friends spreading from the east coast to the west coast, and some even live outside the United States! Jon and I recently did a count of our family and between the two of us; counting only immediate relatives (first cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents), we have 102 relatives. Yes, you read that number right 1-0-2. (And people were surprised that our wedding guest list topped 550, hah!) That's not including the number of friends we have in our lives either; you could easily double that number to include our friends. So, needless to say, we need a way, one place, that our family and friends can check in on us to see what's happening in our lives. It has also been a great way for out-of-state grandparents to check on Devyn and see how she's growing and changing.

The second reason I blog is purely for selfish reasons. I love having a place to record memories, thoughts, opinions, or photos. It has been extremely therapeutic for me to have a place to jot these things down. I’ve always been a very open person, too open at times, and I’m more than willing to share my life with those that are interested. Again, I realize that my life may not be exciting to some but its life to me, and I love sharing it with others. Blogging gives me the opportunity to write what I want, when I want it and it has been an incredible outlet for me.

So, now I’m curious, why do YOU blog? What’s in it for you? And if you don’t blog, why not? Does it seem too time-consuming? Are you wary of putting your life on display? Do you think I’m crazy? Please, jot me a note, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
1:02 PM delete

I started with the intentions of using it to keep far-off kin updated on The Princess. I've since become totally selfish since the main kin I started for, rarely read me) & blog to keep myself sane. I love writing & journaling, especially Sophia's everyday doings. I'm in total agreeance with you & your reasonings. Blog on, mama! I luv reading you!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
1:05 PM delete

I said in one of my posts, "Vulnerability is the key to growth", so I would have to say that's one big reason I blog. Sharing my thoughts and my life with others not only opens me up to their insights and hence challenges me to grow, but it also allows the Lord to work through me if He so chooses. After all, offering myself for His work is my primary purpose on this earth, and if that opens me up for occasional hurt as well, than it's a risk I'm willing to take.
Sarah

Reply
avatar
Susan
AUTHOR
2:10 PM delete

Personally, I just like to write/journal and hear others thoughts about my life. Plus, it's a great way for me to look back and see how I felt at that moment or in that time of my life. I'm new to blogging (kind of) and just enjoy putting my life out there.

Reply
avatar
Dana Glover
AUTHOR
6:18 AM delete

I began blogging as a way to reconnect with my creativity and the love I once had for writing. Having a family drained my motivation and energy to express myself. So, I basically began my blog as a New Year's resolution. I sometimes get a bit discouraged when I read other blogs that are so witty or beautifully written. But I try to remember that I'm doing this for me ... not for some literary award. I probably don't fully appreciate the risks involved in being so open, but I don't want to stop now either.

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
10:24 AM delete

I think that you are so right! It is a great place for people to stay updated with us. Everyone is busy and you don't always have time to tell everyone everything. If people read about it on the blog, then they know! Thanks for helping me with mine!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
11:28 AM delete

I've just begun blogging a little over a month ago. I'd been lurking on other's blogs for months and months, but didn't have the courage to put myself out there.

I decided that I had an adoption story to tell and I didn't want to forget any of the details so that when Snuggle Bug started asking questions, I'd have answers.

I've always loved writing and journaling and I'm finding that blogging adds a new dimension, I get feedback and it's mostly positive!

I blog to remember, I blog to grow through my vunerability (neat phrase Sarah), and I blog to stay in touch with my love of writing.

I'm hooked now. I'll be blogging for a long, long time I suspect.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
11:25 AM delete

I just did a post similar to this one. You'll have to go read.

Reply
avatar