Monday, April 10, 2006 4 Comments A+ a-

We said our final good-bye to our childhood home yesterday. We spent all weekend moving my parents out of their house and it was a chore. On Saturday, we rented the U-Haul and my parents had a number of volunteers ranging from family to friends to youth group kids running in and out of the house with boxes, mattresses, and furniture. I’ll be the first to admit that the Sanchez Sisters weren’t among the harder workers but we chipped in with our fair share. My favorite memory of the day was when all four girls grabbed Alli’s queen-sized pillow-top mattress and carried it from her room to the U-Haul Truck; we were in tears from laughing so hard. Then on Sunday, my parents, sisters, spouses, boyfriend, and Grandma Nancy spent the day cleaning the house from top to bottom. Emotions were high and temperaments flared as the cleaning fumes went to our heads but we got the job done.

Once the cleaning was done, the immediate family (just Mom, Dad, Christine, Alli, Courtney, and I) said good-bye to our family home. It was emotionally exhausting to say good-bye to a house where 21 years of memories took place. I walked from room to room and was flooded with different memories; laying on my parents bed crying from a recent heartbreak; whispering secrets in a dark room with Christine; watching Mom place baby Courtney in her crib; heated family discussions at the dinner table; raising tents in the backyard; my first kiss on the front porch; and the list goes on. (I’m getting misty just sitting at this computer writing about these things.)

How do you wrap up all those memories into one final good-bye? How do I accept that I will never again walk through that front door? How can I thank a building for taking good care of us and being part of so many memories? We met in the living room, our eyes red from crying, and said a final prayer. I watched as my father lost his composure and wasn’t prepared for his good-bye to the house; I watched my baby sister, Courtney, come to grips that she was leaving the only house she’d ever known. We called Jon in for a final photo in front of our fireplace and then we closed the front door for the last, and final, time.

Good-bye, dear, sweet house! Thank you for the memories and thank you for taking care of our family for 21 years; you will be missed!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
5:40 PM delete

Take peace in knowing that your beautiful childhood home will be the starting place of a new family's memories & dreams full-filled. What a great gift to give complete strangers.And while you say good-bye to that home & its past memories, your parents have a fab new home for so many new memories. This will be the home Devyn will have all her memories.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:40 AM delete

Jenn, you made me start cryin all over again reading thi blog. Mom said she had to go over there yesterday to do one last check up with the new home owners and it was really hard because she had to ring the doorbell instead of just walking in. I don't think I ever want to go back into that house knowing it isn't mine anymore.

Reply
avatar
Mom
AUTHOR
7:22 AM delete

Jenn-
This was beautiful, just beautiful! =) It made me cry again and felt like I was being there again. You have a gift for writing, honey. Ask God how you can use it for him. Very talented, honey.
Love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
7:47 AM delete

Wow! That must have been really tough. I know that you will be able to have a ton of new memories in the next house too! I would've been there to help, but I went to a baby shower that day and went to visit my grandparents. Let me know when you either have a free weekend or you need help moving into the new house!

Reply
avatar