Thursday, March 09, 2006 2 Comments A+ a-

What is it about closed doors that prompt a child to open them? Now, don’t get me wrong, I know that Devyn is nowhere near the age to understand that Mommy wants some “alone” time but it’s a little frustrating. Devyn has recently learned the joy and fun in closing and opening doors. She loves going through an open door, flashing us a mischievous smile, and closing the door in our face. We’ll stand on the other side, calling her name until she opens the door a crack, as if to tease us, and then shut it again, giggling the whole time. Another thing she’s discovered is that if Mommy or Daddy disappears behind a closed door, they still exist even though she can’t see them. If Jon or I have gone into the bathroom, Devyn will stand outside the door and cry and “knock” on the door until we come back out. It’s nice to be missed…

But just this past week, Devyn has discovered that she is able to open doors with the use of the door handle. We’ve stepped into a whole new realm of lack of boundaries. I was in the bathroom last night when Devyn decided to join me; she opened the door, stepped inside, closed it behind her, and proceeded to keep me company the entire time I was in there. The best part was how proud she was of herself. Tal es la vida!

We’re going to be doomed when she figures out how to use the locks!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
6:37 PM delete

Um, two things:
1) child proof handle locks & door bumpers to keep her from closing them with her on the inside (and pinching her lil digits)
2) Sophia learned the word "privacy" so she comes IN to the bathroom with me, closes the door & yells "PRIVACY please, Daddy!" Um, SORT of the right concept.
ALL with time, mama! Meanwhile, its kinda funny, right???

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
1:35 PM delete

Yes...in all honesty, it warms my heart to know that she loves being with me!

Reply
avatar