Wednesday, March 08, 2006 4 Comments A+ a-

I love Saturday mornings. Before I was married, I would grab a mug of chai, a book, and just laze around. Once I said ‘I do’, Jon and I would spend hours in bed having breakfast, talking about life, or just enjoying the quiet of the morning. Now that we have a child, Saturday mornings are still my favorite part of the week.

Every Saturday morning, once stirrings can be heard from the nursery, either Jon or I will tiptoe to the room and grab Devyn while she’s still half-asleep. We’ll wrap her in our arms and head back to bed where we’ll crawl beneath the covers. I pull her in and tuck her close to my chest; the scent of her baby shampoo fills my senses and I can feel her breath on my arm. This move usually ensures an extra hour or two of sleep.

Sometimes I’ll wake first and just watch my husband and daughter sleeping soundly, side-by-side, and I’m overwhelmed with feelings of love and gratitude. Those are the moments that I’ll sit and wonder about the sovereignty of God and why I’ve been allowed to have such beautiful gifts in my life. Those are the moments that I bask in the knowledge that my life is complete and that I know true contentment. It is a beautiful feeling, one that I savor!

Then there are other times that I’ll awaken to a pair of blue-gray eyes staring at me from underneath a mop of curly, blond hair. I can see a smile forming behind her pacifier and then mischief appears in her eyes as she prepares for some horse play. As I look into her joyful eyes, I marvel at the little person she’s turned into; complete with likes, dislikes, and various temperaments. What a miracle!

Once Daddy awakens, the fun really begins. We will watch as Devyn tries to walk from one end of the bed to the other; navigating the pillow-top of our mattress; joining in her giggles when she falls down. We chuckle as she gets into my makeup bag and attempts to put lipstick on her lips; exclaiming over and over what a big girl she has become. We smile as she struggles to gather the pillows in a pile; anxious to fly through the air and land on her cushiony target. We’ll sit against the headboard, snuggling her between us, as we read her books. Jon and I will stare at each other in wonderment as Devyn erupts in a big, deep, belly laugh, for there is nothing more healing or magical than hearing your child laugh.

Yes, I love Saturday mornings; it always seems to put life back in perspective.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
10:59 AM delete

Jenn,

I want your Saturday mornings so bad! They sound like such a blessing. I am glad that your family has you to bless them and not take them for granted. You are such a sweetheart. I love you

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
12:06 PM delete

Soon you will have this too. Hang in there! I know that a healthy, sustained pregnancy is in your future. =)

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
12:26 PM delete

Count your blessings. EVERY morning is a WAKE! UP! PLAY! mornng for us with about one breath between each. Soph hits the ground running!
I wanna hear some video of Devyn chattin'!

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
12:33 PM delete

Hmmm...chatting...I don't think it exists yet. Her vocabulary consists of four words, Dada, Doggie, Uh-oh, and No. She's not even saying Mama yet but I'm not jealous... I swear!

Reply
avatar