Wednesday, March 15, 2006 5 Comments A+ a-

After spending the weekend with my sisters, I realize how truly lucky I am to have them in my life. We are each other’s best friends, greatest fans, biggest defenders, and ultimately, closer than most siblings. Siblings are often seen as family obligations, someone to visit with at holiday gatherings, or just distant relatives. I’m not saying these aren’t families or that this is wrong in any way; I’m just grateful for MY family. The four of us are incredibly close, maybe too much so, but we wouldn’t have it any other way.

My parents had four girls in six years. When the youngest, Courtney, was born, Mom and Dad already had a two-year-old, a four-year-old, and a six-year-old. Growing up in a house full of girls became chaotic at times but we had a blast playing house, bride, Barbies, or even building forts out of sheets and kitchen table chairs. I’ve been told that I was always the leader and was often very bossy, but that’s to be expected when you’re the oldest.

When we grew into our teen years, we fluctuated between being best friends and mortal enemies. Screaming matches over clothes could be heard throughout the house but within hours we could be found watching a movie together. As the second sister, Christine, described us, we are passionate women, who have strong convictions, strong beliefs, and strong opinions. None of us have to guess where we stand with the others and we always have an opinion to give, whether you want it or not. But, she continued to say, with that passion comes fierce loyalty and deep love.

When the third sister, Allison, was going through her eating disorder in her mid-teens, you’ve never seen more scared sisters in your life. As she dwindled down to 58 pounds at 15 years of age, we were faced with the reality that we may lose her. I know that I felt helpless, wanting to take this disease from her and fight it myself, and I know that Christine and Courtney felt the same. But since that wasn’t an option, we all rallied behind her and tried to give her our strength and determination to beat the anorexia. It was one of the hardest times in our lives and we’re so grateful to be able to say that she is doing great; she is now a healthy and thriving 22-year-old.

I love my sisters. I treasure the memories of our childhood; I enjoy the memories we’re making now; and I look forward to the memories not yet made. I just hope that Devyn gets to experience the mixed blessings of a sister; only time will tell…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
3:42 PM delete

This is such a sweet passage! I know that sisters are truely a blessing and it is awesome that you are all so close and that you don't take each other for granted. God has definately blessed you with each other. When are we goind to have breakfast/lunch/dinner??

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
3:49 PM delete

Thanks for the sweet message, Jill. I'm up for lunch any time, give me a call!

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
5:51 PM delete

I LOVE these pics! I dream of having many girls for these exact reasons. Well... and for my own personal posse. ;)

Reply
avatar
Mom
AUTHOR
10:04 AM delete

Jenn-
You made me cry with what you wrote about your sisters. SOO special! Thanks, honey.
It touched my heart.
Love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
2:01 PM delete

I'm from a family of 5 children, 3 girls and 2 boys. I'm close to all 4 of my siblings. I love them dearly, they're my closest friend, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I love hearing about others that have special connections with their siblings!

Reply
avatar