Monday, February 13, 2006 3 Comments A+ a-

When we woke up on Saturday morning and couldn’t find my ski coat, that should have been my first clue that this was not a good day to go skiing. When I watched the temperature gauge continually drop from 8 degrees to 20 below, I should have listened to my gut. When we got to my brothers-in-law’s apartment and my boots wouldn’t fit my skis and I had to rent a whole ski package it should have been my third clue to bail on this trip. Regardless, it made for an interesting experience.

We headed up to Vail around 5:30am on Saturday morning and arrived at Josh and Brock’s place around 7:30am. We finally hit the slopes around 8:30am and made our way to the back of the resort. Bear in mind that I haven’t skied in two years, since before I got pregnant with Devyn, and I’ve only skied a couple of blue runs, mostly green runs, in the past. On Saturday, I was skiing with four men who are used to black diamond runs and I was trying to keep up with them. Every lift that kept taking us further back, I was wondering what I’d gotten myself into. We skied mostly blue runs, with a few black runs intermingled. I thought I was going to die! I’m just not in the same shape as those four Glover men and it was a little humiliating having them wait for me at the bottom of each hill. I got psyched out easily by big, steep hills, speed, and other skiers, so I spent some time on my backside and even took my skis off at one point. But Jon prevailed to my common sense and I put the skis back on. I can see how some marriages don’t survive days like that. I pushed my body like I've never pushed it before and I’ve got the aches and pains to prove it. It's hard work keeping up with those Glover men!

All in all, it was beautiful in the back of the resort with few skiers, incredible runs, and breath-taking scenery. I even skied my first bowl and it was a blast! Josh and Brock are phenomenal on the slopes and Josh even showed off his skills on the moguls. It was fun being able to watch him and then overhear people talking in awe of his ability. Yep, that’s MY brother-in-law! Jon’s knee swelled up like a balloon and I did my best to abstain from "I told you so" but he had an absolute blast with his dad and brothers.

We got some fun videos of Brock and Josh riding rails in the terrain park and Jon even got a video of me too. It was a great, great day! And what was Devyn doing while we were gone? She was getting into trouble at Grandma Terry’s house. I told you she loved her books!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
11:39 AM delete

Great pics! Great video! But, seriously, girl, getting up THAT early on your own free will??? Are you INSANE??? lol
Luv ya!
PS to cute pic of Devyn

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
1:26 PM delete

Yes, I was going to kill Jon at the news of getting up at 4:30am. But reconsidered when he promised Krispy Kreme donuts.

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
2:47 PM delete

AAhhhh.... THAT makes sense! lol

Reply
avatar