Saturday, February 04, 2006 2 Comments A+ a-

My sisters, Allison and Courtney, called me yesterday with the following story.

My parents had three showings yesterday afternoon so they and Devyn had to get out of the house. They decided to go to an indoor playground for Devyn and let her play. While they were there, little girls would come up and give her hugs and kisses and little boys would come by and stare, but overall, they left her alone. She was leaning against one of the structures when a little boy of 4 or 5 came up to her. My sisters watched as the little boy leaned forward and whispered something to Devyn. Then they were horrified when the little boy brought his leg back and kicked Devyn in the stomach! She fell to the ground in tears and her aunties rushed to her rescue. After admonishing the little boy he responded with "But she was in my way." This whole thing happened right in front of his mother! They picked Devyn up, wiped away her tears, and left the playground promptly.

Upon hearing this story, two different emotions overcame me. One, was the fierce need to protect my little girl from such bullies! I wanted to be there to love on her and kiss her better. I wanted to wrap her in my arms and shield her from the pain. And two, I was so sad because I should have been the one to protect her, instead of at work. I am counting down the days until I can start working part-time.

Devyn and I went back to the same playground this morning. I was hoping to find this little punk and his mother to give them a piece of my mind. Alas, he wasn't there but Devyn had a great time anyway. And it's just as well, I really wasn't in the mood to pick on a 5-year-old boy.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
9:04 AM delete

Ooohhhh, I'd TOTALLY be in the mood to pick on the mother of the child. Does NO one teach manners to the creatures they've birthed??? I'm on your side, mama!

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
10:38 AM delete

Yes, I can't understand some mothers! If that had been Devyn, a swift smack to the rear end and time-out would have been in order. A 5-year-old should know better!

Reply
avatar