Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9 Comments A+ a-

Let me preface this entry with declaration that I hate puke, vomit, upchucking, or whatever you want to call it. I cannot handle it and it’s the primary reason that Jon and I made an agreement upon Devyn’s birth that I would handle all dirty diapers and he would handle all puke. If I hear someone puke, see someone puke, or smell someone’s puke, odds are good that I’ll be adding to the previous pile. God has such a sense of humor!

On Thursday morning, Jon and I woke up bright and early in preparation for his surgery. We had to be at the surgical center by 6:00am and we decided that Devyn would be taken in her pjs and I’d just change her while Jon was in surgery. I was in the bathroom blow-drying my hair when Jon comes running through, holding Devyn by her armpits. Our poor baby had thrown up all over herself. It was in her hair, covering her pjs, and under her nails. While Jon proceeded to give Devyn a bath, I ran to the nursery and tore off her puke-covered sheets. What a way to start this day!

We arrived at the surgical center on time, in spite of a vomit-covered child and icy roads from the worst snow storm this season. We got Jon settled into bed and we informed the anesthologist that Jon is very sensitive to being put under and to expect nausea and chills. Jon was wheeled into surgery and my mom and Jon’s dad kept Devyn and me company in the waiting room. Devyn dozed between drinks of water and bits of bread. My poor, poor baby.

Within ½ an hour, Dr. Martin called us into the consultation room to go over the details of Jon’s surgery. The surgery turned out even better than expected. While Jon originally went in to repair a torn meniscus but once the doctor got in there he saw that it healed itself. This in and of itself was an aswer to prayer because based on where tear was and how it would have had to been fixed, Jon could have been facing 6 weeks in recovery. But the biggest problem was his plica band. A plica band is made of fibrous tissues and usually goes away during development in-utero but Jon’s remained. He tore his plica band away from the ceiling and that is what was causing all the pain. Since the plica band is not needed, the doctor just removed it. (Feel free to check out the photos the surgical team provided us.) By this time Jon was awake, as much as could be expected anyway, and was raring to go back home. Within an hour Jon was pledging his undying love if I could just get him discharged and in his own bed. With the help of his dad and the discharge nurse, we were soon making our way back on icy roads.

The rest of the day was spent either icing Jon’s knee, running around with pain killers, making toast, keeping Devyn and Jon on liquid diets, and, oh yeah, the wonderful job of cleaning up vomit. Jon managed to throw-up three times that day and luckily made it to the bucket each time. But as I told him, cleaning up someone’s puke is a huge sign of unconditional love; I can’t do it for just anyone. Devyn kept running up and checking on "Dada" and was constantly wanting to cuddle with him. I think her feelings might have been hurt the time he handed her to me in a hurry to lean over and empty his stomach for the third time.

The next best highlight of the weekend was that the dogs decided to break free and make a run for it. Jackson and Grady have not escaped our yard in almost six months and this is the weekend they decided to do it, when I have no help and sub-zero temps outside. Of course, being the manly man that Jon is, he decided he was going to assist and got in the truck to help me look. Luckily, my sister’s boyfriend, Drew, and our friends, Cassie and Jeremy, all came to our assistance and after five hours of being free, we managed to capture the little twerps. Devyn was ecstatic to have her "doggies" home and they, fortunately, were worn out and spent the rest of the day sleeping. Oy vey!

All in all, this was an adventurous weekend and one for the books. Jon is doing well and is slowly recovering from the surgery. He’s not healing as fast as he’d like but I keep telling him to take it easy. He’s been thankful for all I’ve done for him but I just keep reminding him that we’re in this "for better or for worse" and I know he’d do the same for me. The swelling in his knee is going down and his post-op appointment is on Friday and the doctor is confident that he’ll be able to return to work on Monday, in much better shape than he was before. Thanks for your prayers and your concern, we’d greatly appreciate it.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the dogs threw-up yesterday?! God and his sense of humor!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Drea
AUTHOR
12:04 PM delete

All I can say is WOW!!

Reply
avatar
Elyssa
AUTHOR
12:04 PM delete

Your story cracked me up! I am sorry though to hear how many times you had to
encounter someone else's puke! :o( You've surely hit your quota for the next
decade...so hopefully this was it for you for quite some time!

I hope everyone is feeling better! Talk to you soon!

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
12:05 PM delete

Wow! Sounds like you and I are kindred spirits in the HATE PUKE MORE THAN
ANYTHING department. Derek and I have already agreed that he's the man when our
kids (inevitably) get the stomach flu, but like you said-- for better or worse!
So far, Danny's spitup hasn't bothered me at all (except for one unusually big
glorp!), but I'm sure that will change when solids are added to his diet. :)

So glad the surgery went well, and I'll be praying for a speeded recovery. I'm
excited to see you, and introduce you to Daniel, soon!!

Reply
avatar
Grandpa Steve
AUTHOR
12:05 PM delete

Is this available is paper back or hard cover? And can I get an autographed copy?

Reply
avatar
Uncle Scott & Aunt Pam
AUTHOR
12:05 PM delete

It's nice to see life is progressing as normal. We're glad to hear Jon's surgery went well and praise the Lord you don't have to do laundry in a local river bed!

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
8:00 AM delete

Sounds like you & DaMomma are in the same boat this past week, with vomit-fest. I'm so sorry!!! I love the snuggly pics, and Mom was here & thought it was funny you put the MRI pics on. :) Luv ya, gal!

Reply
avatar
Aunt Bernie
AUTHOR
10:11 AM delete

Thanks for the update........... honestly you are living my life!!!

Reply
avatar
Uncle Paul
AUTHOR
10:12 AM delete

Thank you Jennifer for your really wonderful family updates. Your gift of journalism is very evident in your writing. What I really see is how you are able to communicate in such ways that I feel like I am right there with you. I am glad things are working out in Jon's recovery and the love that you all are learning in being a family. God is so cool in His sense of humor.

Reply
avatar
Aunt Kelley
AUTHOR
10:12 AM delete

LOL!!! All I can say is...welcome to family life, my dear! It definitely sounds like you had a very challenging weekend, and I'm sure you were ready for the week to begin. One thing I'm curious about...was it Jon's, Devyn's, or the dogs' puke that was worse(tee, hee!)???

Reply
avatar