Thursday, February 02, 2006 0 Comments A+ a-

After 21 years in the same house, my parents are finally getting ready to move! They’ve signed a contract with both a builder and realtor and the wheels are moving forward. Their new home is being built (see photos below) and they should be moved in by the end of May. The new house is located about 15 miles north of their current house and about 10 miles away from our home. We are so excited for them! It is so incredible to watch how God is blessing their lives! For 24 years, Mom and Dad gave up so much for us. Mom chose to stay home with us and while I didn’t appreciate it at the time, I’m so thankful now. They never lived outside their means and made appropriate sacrifices to put food in our bellies and clothes on our back. We never questioned their love and devotion to us; we always knew that they were there for us. Dad would often accept old beat-up cars or go without a car at all; hand-me-downs were essential in our house and there were nights we lived on pinto beans and tortillas; they went years without new clothes, the latest gadgets, the newest toys, and Mom, without her much-cherished nursing degree. But now that the youngest is in college and we’re all starting families of our own, they’re finally able to spread their wings and indulge in things that would have been unheard of years ago. Both Mom and Dad have purchased brand-new vehicles and they’re making a transition to a brand-new home! I’m so thrilled for them! And I’m so very thankful for the sacrifices they made, the love they’ve shown, and the example they were to us.

[Edited to add: My sisters feel that I've protrayed our family to be paupers, extremely poor and one step away from living on the street. This was not true. I was just trying to illustrate the many ways that our parents sacrificed to raise us.]

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.