Monday, January 23, 2006 2 Comments A+ a-

“This is what Margaret calls the Mother Wound --the pain you experience at birth that never really goes away. It opens in you a capacity to hurt for every mother, every child, in a way as personal and violent as childbirth itself.” Damomma

I have been searching for these very words for months! Since Devyn’s birth, I have noticed this deeper capacity to feel pain, fear, and empathy. Every time I hear of a mother losing a child or I find out about a child with a debilitating illness, my heart literally breaks. It’s as though I can feel each mother’s pain. I told my mom that I didn’t sign up for this; I was content in my ability to sympathize but distance myself from the reality. Instead, the moment Devyn was born, a bond was formed with every mother (past, present, and future) and I realized that I was going to mourn every loss and every fear with every mother. There is so much truth in the above quote!

I received some more wonderful news over the weekend! Our friends, Jill and Jeremy, are expecting their first child in September! We are so thrilled for you guys and cannot wait to meet this little one! Congratulations!

Since this newest pregnancy announcement, I calculated how many of our family and friends are expecting and was a little surprised at the length of the list. Add to the list the number of recent births and we’re surrounded by babies!

  • Isaac and Becky – March Due Date – 1st Child
  • Jeremy and Jaime – March Due Date – 2nd Child
  • Andy and Cari – May Due Date – 1st Child
  • Laura and Andy – May Due Date – 1st Child
  • Michelle and Josh – June Due Date – 1st Child
  • Colette and Jeff – July Due Date – 1st Child
  • John and Lorena – July Due Date – 1st Child
  • Sarah and Travis – August Due Date – 2nd Child
  • Ben and Kara – September Due Date – 1st Child
  • Shad and Julie – September Due Date – 4th Child
  • Jill and Jeremy – September Due Date – 1st Child

Yes, my baby fever is continuing to rise but since a baby isn’t in our plans in the near-future, we'll just live vicariously through our family and friends and welcome each new baby into our lives with joy and excitement for the new parents. I'm thrilled for all of the new lives that are growing and changing at this very moment. It is such a miracle and I know that each of these couples are going to be, or already are, incredible parents. Congratulations to all!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
11:51 AM delete

WOW! HOW are you NOT pregnant yet? So many around you!!! Great pic! Is that Devyn at birth? If so, I'm guessing Jon's the photographer? FAB!

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
7:51 AM delete

Only with the promise of working part-time, are we able to wait. But I'm having fun waiting for each new, pregnancy announcement. The picture is not of Devyn; just a great picture I found.

Reply
avatar