Wednesday, January 18, 2006 1 Comments A+ a-

"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." ~Rajneesh

I found the above quote and could not get over the truth of it. I often think back to my life before Devyn and when I remember it; it pales in comparison to life with Devyn. Even before her birth, I loved having her grow inside me. I cherished every moment of my pregnancy. The subtle reminders of her presence were everywhere as I lost my center of gravity, as I hugged the porcelain toilet every morning, and as I watched the dark line travel up my belly. But nothing was more precious than those first kicks and movements; those moments only shared between Devyn and myself. As my due date approached, I remember telling Jon that I wasn’t prepared to share Devyn, that up until that moment, it was just her and me, and no one could touch it. And here I was, getting ready to share her, not only with her excited daddy and loving families, but with a world that I have no control over and no way to rid it of evil. This may sound corny or “women’s lib” may have a fit, but I’ve never found true fulfillment until that day that she joined us. I suddenly had a responsibility to this beautiful, young babe to love her; to teach her; to show her; to protect her; and to nourish her. God gives us such a beautiful, breath-taking gift in pregnancy, birth, and motherhood. I’m so honored that He trusts us with such joy…

Devyn Paige is going to be 14 months old tomorrow and every day her personality is emerging more and more. I love the infant stage and baby stage but nothing prepared me for the true delight in this toddler stage. Devyn and I are able to interact in ways that exceed my expectations and I find myself captivated during our times together. She is turning into an enchanting little girl who is quick to giggle; swift to play a game; and prompt to snuggle. She’ll play chase around our table with Jon; eager to let the dogs in after dinner; and excited for mommy-and-daughter tickle wars before bath time. But after the hair is washed, the splashes are made, and pjs are on, she’ll walk over to me and lay her head in my lap, indicating that she’s ready for cuddle-time. I’m not sure what Jon and I have ever done to deserve such a gift but I guess that’s the beauty of God’s love and infinite wisdom. Devyn has become such an integral part of our family and I treasure every moment.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
2:36 PM delete

Excuse my lack of manners, but There's no other way to say this: screw women's lib! I cannot agree with you more on the beauty of a mother/ child bond, from in utero to birth & beyond. And its ALL ours! Although, MANY times I would LOVE for Sophia to enjoy Daddy time as much as she clings to me. :) PS I see lots of you in Devyn. Chaney-Glover can't take ALL the credit!

Reply
avatar