Monday, December 12, 2005 2 Comments A+ a-

Let the fun begin!
Ok, I admit it. I've often wondered what my stay-at-home friends did all day. I mean, really, how hard can it be to keep the house cleaned, the laundry done, fresh baked foods on the table, and dinner prepared when dear-hubby walks in the house?!? (This is where I usually get a good, swift kick to rear-end from a well-intentioned friend.) But I take it back; I take it all back! Let me give you a glimpse into what our day was like yesterday...

11:34am - I set Devyn in the living room with her toys to play while I throw a load into the washer.
11:40am - Devyn has pulled herself up and taken all the magazines off the coffee table.
11:41am - Devyn is taken back to her toys and told to "stay there" while I clean up the mess.
11:44am - I turn around and she's playing with the DVD player and throwing DVDs on the floor. (Mental note to self, put DVDs away when done watching them!)
11:45am - Put Devyn back with her toys and throw away Pirates of the Caribbean due to scratches.
11:53am - Devyn is demanding some attention, so I sit on the floor and we read about three books.
12:05pm - Run to the laundry room and throw the load into the dryer.
12:07pm - Stare in shock as I come into the kitchen and see that Devyn has taken out all of the tupperware and thrown it on the floor. She looks at me with a smile.
12:09pm - Pick up the tupperware but am horrified that she is pulling paper plates, napkins, and miscellaneous items off the baker's rack.
12:11pm - Clean up Devyn's mess at the baker's rack and chase her to another cupboard filled with pots and pans.
12:12pm - Too late! My sauce pans and frying pans have been thrown all over the floor!
12:14pm - Throw my hands up in defeat and place Devyn on the counter to help me make lunch. (At last...she rests.)
12:45pm - After a good lunch, I place a sleepy Devyn on the couch and rush to put another load in the washer.
12:48pm - I hear Jon talking to Devyn, "What are you doing out here?" I rush into the kitchen, no Devyn. I rush into the living room (where I'd left her); no Devyn. Jon is calling my name from the mud room! Devyn had gotten herself all the way from the living room into the mud room and was playing with the dogs kennels when Jon walked in.

Whew! I will never doubt my friends again!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
12:55 PM delete

I read an intro to a book titled "How to Be a Mary, not a Martha": Leave the dishes in the sink & fall at Jesus' feet.~ It all, somehow, sooner or later, gets done. Dishes will always be there; a child is this age, this beauty & curiousity, but once. One of my many daily mantras.

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
12:58 PM delete

Thanks Jess! I tend to live by the rule most of the time but I was just in shock at how fast she moved; how curious she was about everything; and, most of all, I loved how she turned it into a game!

Reply
avatar