Tuesday, December 06, 2005 1 Comments A+ a-

I think Devyn is turning into a bully...
When we first brought her home, our dogs were unsure of how they felt about her; Jackson and Grady really just wanted nothing to do with her. When she got a little older and could laugh at them and try to touch them, they started thinking that maybe she was all right. But it wasn’t until I saw Devyn feeding Jackson and Grady cheerios that I realized they had fallen in love. I smiled proudly at Devyn and thought to myself, "We must be doing something right to have a beautiful daughter and our gorgeous animals getting along so well". Right.

I was in the kitchen and I had left Devyn in the living room with Jon. She was enjoying herself, walking around the table and back again. I brought Jackson and Grady inside and they settled themselves on the floor in the living room. I was preparing dinner listening to both the sound of the news on TV and the happy babblings of Devyn. All of the sudden the babblings stopped and I looked over to see my baby girl looking down at Jackson, who was in her way. I watched as she stared uncertainly, unsure of what to do. Then, in horror, I watched as she brought her leg back and gave Jackson a swift kick to the side. (Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it didn’t hurt because Devyn is all of 17 pounds and Jackson weighs over 70, but it’s the principal.) Jackson quickly jumped up and moved to the other side the room. Grady was soon subjected to the same treatment when Devyn got to him. Oy vey!

Jon and I have repeatedly told Devyn to be gentle and nice to the doggies (usually she is) but she now has a new way of handling things when "the doggies" get in her way. Jackson and Grady have mixed emotions about Devyn; there’s a certain amount of fear in their eyes when Devyn walks into a room. Love mixed with fear is healthy... right?

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
6:00 PM delete

I have to laugh. I just finished posting a pic of Sophia & our dog, with whom Sophia has a love/hate relationship. MOST of the time, its great. Then Sophia remembers how funny it is to see Penny jump when she rams her shopping cart or baby stroller in to her.

Reply
avatar