Thursday, November 10, 2005 1 Comments A+ a-

"Coming To An End..."
I gently stroke her cheek; feel her weight in my arms; feel her soft breath on my skin; and lock my eyes with her baby blues. She sighes contentedly as she snuggles in closer and I smile as her eyes start to droop. I sit and soak in this moment as Devyn heads into dreamland. I can't believe these moments are coming to an end...

These past couple of weeks Devyn and I have started the process of weaning and all too soon we're down to only two breast-feedings a day. Such a sense of sadness, filled with poignancy, as I realize that this time with her is almost over. Nothing can explain the wonder as I watched her latch on for the first time; it was finally happening, something I had imagined since the moment I found out I was pregnant; I was getting to bond with my baby in a way only mothers can. At that time, I was planning to breast-feed for 12 months, that's it. "Anyone who breastfeeds their children longer than that is crazy," I thought. But now I understand; I now know why my mom continued until we were all 14 months old. Mommies will do anything to keep that connection a little longer. I'm not sure if I can do this; I've loved every moment of breast-feeding and I don't want to give it up! But I still have two more weeks; I'm going to cherish every moment I have left.

Shhh...child, back to sleep. Mama is here.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Jess
AUTHOR
10:39 AM delete

My heart goes out to you. I can't begin to describe the sadness of thinking about Sophia's last nursing, which hasn't happened yet. During my pregnancy, I too, thought "12 months". But now, as we near her 2nd birthday & weaning is no where in sight, I think of how much I would have missed. I know that nursing serves as mainly comfort for her now & I feel so blessed that THAT is MY gift to her, when nothing else will do.

Reply
avatar